1975 E-27 wheel steering parts needed

Glenn B

Hello, I am new to this forum and looking for some steering parts . Quadrant and cable blocks in particular or even the complete set up (pedestal etc.)
My situation is that I have an E-27 with a "T" cockpit and it has tiller steering . It never has had wheel steering in it .

My goal is to put wheel steering in , while also keeping the reciever for the tiller so that I can convert my steering quickly to suit circumstances . (racing /cruizing).

Quadrant , cable blocks , etc. ?

eknebel

Member III
Since there was E-27s manufactured with wheel steering after 1974, it is possible to fit the hardware in. See if you can find a E27 wheel steered boat locally, or pictures. If you can't locate the parts used, I believe that some careful shopping with the Edson catalog would allow you to gather the correct parts.
The arrangement for most wheel steered boats is there is hardware poles that fit onto the rudder post, like a tiller. On many boats, this tiller points aft, to allow clearance for the binacle. This allows to use a tiller if the wheel steering malfunctions, and often the wheel steering cables have to be disconnected since they have jammed for some reason. However, if the cables are not disconnected, there is alot of resistance, since you are on the "wrong" side of the mechanical advantage of the wheel. If you want to switch back and forth to get the feel of a tiller, you would have to disconnect the steering cables from the quadrant(read upside down in the lazarette). Good Luck with your project, a wheel is less fatiguing, and you don't have the tiller sweeping into the crews knees.

Glenn B

Thanks Ed , I will search Edson somemore . Good idea. In the meantime if anyone thinks they might have the stock quadrant or lateral blocks that would be great !
The quadrant is cast aluminum and fits a 2&3/8 rudder post . The "sign"(cable arc portion) is about 12"s across . The lateral blocks are 4" dia. of brass on a brass mount.
The original pedestal was manufactured for Ericson by Yacht Specialties and was very short to fit on the "T" section of the cockpit . The quadrant and blocks fit into this "T" and are accesible from topside . Which makes it easier to work on , adjust and repair. (yahoo!) The rudder post extends into this "T" area high enough to accomodate both the quadrant and the tiller reciever. I am using a pedestal made by "Cinkel". It is not OEM but it will fine once shortened .

And yes , I have a couple of E27"s with wheel steering nearby to look at and measure.

Thanks , Glenn

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Glenn,

Welcome to the group. So you are going to add the raised area under the pedestal? Please take some photos during reconstruction.

Last edited:

kari

Member III
I have a 73 e27 converted to wheel, full height pedestal no raised area/cockpit divider . . .I still have the tiller attachment but it would be hard to switch back and forth . . . just think logistics here . . .I love the wheel steering . . .I know there are die hard tiller folk out there, no need to jump in here:)

Glenn B

The design of the boat was for wheel steering . So it already has the "T" section in the cockpit ,. But no pedestal was ever installed. We have sailed it for 4 years with the tiller . It sails fine and we like the tiller , but when we sail with guests aboard it makes the seating awkward. I think we will be able to have both available with only minor wrenching to switch.

Well that is the plan! We'll see eh? I will shorten the pedestal 15" so that mounted to the "T" section it will be the proper height. Pictures? Well I guess I better acquire a camera . Don't have one at this time. Glenn

CamD

Member II
I have a pedestal for sale with a Ritchie compass. I believe it came off of an E35 so it will be about the right height. It doesn't have pulleys or anything but I do have a quadrant that could be adapted. Here is the link to the local ad.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Steering-Pedestal_17823102
ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2

Last edited:

Glenn B

Will you sell the quadrant by itself ? Take a picture and give lots of measurements if you will separate the items .
Thanks, Glenn

CamD

Member II
Sorry for the delay, my wife hid the camera on me. I was going to alter it to bolt up to the tiller head. Unless you have access to some metal working tools it may not work. You could probably find a similar one at a used marine store to avoid costly shipping but if you really want it I'll sell it.

Yachting 2012 002.jpgYachting 2012 001.jpg

Glenn B

Thanks CamD , The radius of the quadrant you show is a bit larger and the connection to the rudder is quite different also . Yes , I have access to machining , but this would be extensive .So I am going to pass on yours . Thanks for the thought and effort though! I certainly appreciated it ! Glenn B