1973 E25 Ressurection in Progress

:egrin:

Hi gang-

Just thought you guys might want to see the "before" pictures of my girl. Like any 30 year old woman, she needs some attention from the local marine cosmetic surgeon (me).

She's out of the water for her bottom job, and while I'm at it I'm going to paint her hull pure white. The new bottom coat will be navy blue.

I'm having new sails cut for her (Bartlett Sails, Austin, TX). A big roach main, and a new 135 Genoa. I'll post more pics next week as the hull work begins to take shape.

I'll post some pics of the interior soon. That project is just about finished.

Attachments

• drydock1.jpg
    drydock1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The after pictures....

The topdeck will get new paint next year, I'm over budget (of course). I really hate that powder puff blue, who the hell would ever do that to a boat?

The hull has new paint as well as the bottom job. I'm pleased to report no blisters, as I've only had this boat for a year.

New sails from Bartlett Sails are ready, I can't wait to sail her home.

She's gonna get wet on Monday...

Attachments

• drydock4.jpg
    drydock4.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Bob in Va

Member III
Don't disparage that color

in Chapel Hill, NC - it's considered sacred there. You have a real nice looking boat. I almost bought one like it a couple of years ago (it belonged to a friend), after sailing it for a number of years. Thanks for shooting the pics with the board down - I'm thinking of making a few replacement boards, and have wondered if the 25 has the same board as the 23. Yours appears to have a little curvature in the leading edge, to match the curve of the bottom. The centerboard on my 23 has a straight leading edge. Does your pin insert from inside the hull, or outside?

Bob-
First of all, I'm no tarheel :D My keel is bolted on inside the hull, and it's made of lead.

A pic of the new fabric in the 'salon'...

Attachments

• interior1.jpg
    interior1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Brian Lowman

Member II
E25 Restoration

Congratulations on restoring an E25. I have undertaken the same task this year and have enclosed a photo of my 'baby' as I purchased her. I have yet to unfurl the jib, but if it needs replacing, cest l'vie.

No, I don't intend to trailer her and have had her bottom done and she is happily floating in a nice marina in Pensacola. I see some differences in our riggings (lower spreaders, halyard winch, lifelines, interior), but in a 30 year old boat I would expect that. I am about to undertake moving my outboard to a bracket and adding a swim ladder just like yours.

Good luck, and we should share any unique observations we find while rebuilding.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• gypsyrose.jpg
    gypsyrose.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 470

ShelleyG

Hi

I Noticed that you cut a hole through your bimini.
I was thinking of doing the same to install a top on my E27 .
Did you disconnected your stays? to thread it?
The boat looks great by the way

Thanks for the compliments, Brian.

Shelley-yes, the backstays had to be removed to thread thru the bimini. It wasn't too difficult, as I just put her into the slip stern first, and then ran a line from the mast to a cleat in my slip to keep the mast from falling. It did make me nervous though...

She's back in the water now, and if it will ever stop raining down here in Texas, I'll get the new sails on her and will post some pics of her undersail.

I've added fore and aft hatch covers. The boat on the other
side of the marina walkway (black at the toerails
and yellow at the waterline), is an Ericson 35, btw...
I bought my boat from it's current owner.
He said owning two project boats is one too many.
I'm beginning to think that owning one project boat
is one too many ;)

Attachments

• exterior4.jpg
    exterior4.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
The job is finished!

:egrin: She's got her new sails, and the job is finally done until next year, when I get rid of that Carolina Blue on the topsides...

Attachments

• voigt boating 002.jpg
    voigt boating 002.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 358

asl100376

Your E25 Configuration

Hi Eric,

Hope your still watching this thread .... I bought an Ericson 25 this year here in Austin, on Lake Travis. I am slowly working to fix her up so she is safe and comfortable for the family.

What are the dimensions of your Bimini? It looks like it fits the boat well. Did you have to raise the boom any to accomodate this setup?

I noticed you don't have a booming lift? Is your boom secured in the mast track or free?

Do you have the specs on your main sheet traveler? I still have the original from Ericson and it is not good for single handing.

I will probably do a bottom job this year, do you reccomend a boat yard on Travis? and what type of bottom paint did you end up applying to your boat.

Sorry for the flood of questions.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Lindsey

Hello Scott, yep I'm still around.

OK, on to your questions:

1. I've never measured my bimini, it was already on the boat when I bought it. However I'm also on Travis at Riviera Marina, so if your interested, feel free to drop by on a weekend and I'll break out the tape measure w/you.

As a side note, I put new sails on her last year, from Bartlett Sails here in Austin. To accomodate the slightly larger main than was originally on it, I had to cut the bimini supports down by a couple of inches. I still have plenty of standing headroom in the cockpit though. I'd recommend that you talk to John, as he did all my new hatchcovers and can make ya a bimini if you need one. All of his work is top notch, from canvass to sails. Oh yeah, the boom is secured in the mast track.

2. I'm in the same shape w/my traveler that you are in. I'm sure it's not original equipment, but I'm having hell finding the right size blocks for the port and starboard lines. It's a unique (to me) design, and I have searched all the manufacturers (Harken, etc) with no luck. It appears that someday I may have to just replace the entire traveler system, something I'm not looking forward to doing.

3. Jack Moore did my bottom job. There is a marina up in Sandy Creek behind Starnes Island with a hydraulic lift (I forget the name of his marina, but once you get past Starnes, head to the left and go all the way back up in there, you'll see it. That's where Jack is. He's a crazy old coot, but his guy Jesus (haysoos) is a wizard with fiberglass. I did go ahead and spring for a good anti microbial bottom paint from West Marine. The cool part of this job was not having to drop the mast :egrin:

shoot me an email if you'd like to get together someday. I'd love to see your boat as well. (evoigt@swbell.net)

Last edited:

soup1438

Member II
Cutaway Bulkhead Anxiety...

My s/v is a 1975 Ericson 25 (though w/ the full keel and "tall" mast) and I found the cut-out portion of the portside main cabin bulkhead... disturbing.

I'd be concerned about the ability for the 5/8" plywood, especially w/ the sharp cutaway, to distribute the load from the chainplates to the hull...

That being said I'll need to replace my portside bulkhead since the bottom of it is slowly being eaten away; a pattern would be handy should someone w/ a 25 of the same vintage have one handy. (I expect to build a rough outline, pull out what I have, do the fine tuning, return the "bad" one to hold the chainplates while I "finish" the wood-work.)

BTW... anybody got any "replacing slide hatches for those who are all thumbs" so that a rank beginner like me can figure out how to get the hatch *off*?

*SIGH*

So much work... so much nice weathet to be sailing in...

(The problem is there's not much of a "maintenance season" here on Florida's "Sun Coast"; sailing season is over 12 months long.)