1970Ericson29 rewiring project

usmcgrizz

Member I
Anyone have any experience replacing/rewiring their distribution panels? My Ericson29 has badly corroded panels and wiring in the port lazzarette. Going to have to replace the wiring and maybe the panel. Bought a couple books to help me through but more interested in hearing form real people who have done it themselves.

Thanks

chip50

Member II
hi i have an ericson 25,,,,dont know a damn thing about boats, but i replaced the wiring by cutting out all the bad stuff,then put in new fans,lights, radio etc...i took all the fan wiring connected it to a new switch in main box and labeled it fans.then labled a new switch radio and so on the most fun was hiding the new wiring, remove the panels where you can,,,use an electricians wire puller run it through the voids connect to your wire and pull it back....some one told me you could use a breaker box like for houses but i would ask at west marine and see if you can get a new control panel....battery leads go from the battery to the control panel,,,you almost cant get that wrong. but i can tell you....work only on one set of wires at a time, even if it looks like you can run several wires together at one time through a hole,,, you wont pull your hair out,,, and be sure that the control box you get has fuses.....thats my experience for now...

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Don't use a house breaker box. For one thing, the available breakers will be 120/240 volt, not 12 volt. But more importantly, it'll corrode in the marine environment. Marine electrical panels aren't cheap, but there's no sense in putting in something that will promptly rot, an be a potential safety hazard.

Nate

Art Mullinax

Member III
Tricks and Tips

A trick I use to pull new wire is using piano wire. It's stiff enough to work between the inner liner and cabin top and can be bent to reach inaccessable areas.
Use only marine grade tinned wire. The stuff at the home improvement stores will corrode and make your efforts useless.
Moyer Marine sells a replacement harness for the A4. It has all the correct terminals, wiring diagram, wire, etc.
Use the flexible split tubing for wire bundles. You can pick this up at an auto supply store. It makes a neater looking job.
Fasten the wire bundles using brass or plastic clamps to prevent annoying vibration noise behind the access panels and engine compartment
Plan ahead. When drawing the wiring diagram, plan for future installations for lights, radios, stereos, fans, etc.
Properly size the wire. You'll be amazed at the voltage drop from the panel to the masthead light using the wrong size wire.
Layout your panel for room to grow.
Label your wires either by number or name on both ends. Office supply stores have really neat label makers.
Approach the task as if you will be the next person to work on it.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Also remember that you need to consider the ROUND TRIP distance of the wire when sizing for voltage drop. That means that anchor light has 80 feet of wire, not 40. So you need to use a large enough wire to prevent more than a 10% voltage drop. (3% would be even better, although it's not essential for lighting, it's a good idea to just stick to the 3% table).

Also remember to size all wire on a circuit at least large enough to carry the max amperage of that circuit (fuse or breaker rating). Typically that'll be less than the 3% voltage drop table for most legs of your circuit, so you'll generally just use that, but for smaller draws like electronics keep in mind that you have to use wire that's rated for the entire circuit current, in case there were a short. That way the breaker would blow before the wire overheated and started a fire.

Nate

Moor'ea

Savage Sailor
good books

(If you haven't already,) Check out Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Handbook. Very (if not overwhelmingly) informative. I bought this at the begining of my rewiring journey, and found it very helpful.

cheers,
Jay

Bryan

I am having problems, too with my Ericson 25. Thanks for the tips. I thought I was the only one and trying to figure out how to fish those wires was perplexing.

HGSail

Member III
I replaced all the DC wiring in my 29. I was able to use the original panel and switches( at least the the ones that were on the boat at the time I bought her) As far as pulling the wire from the lazzertte to the bow, I just removed the panels on the port side. (this is also were the factory glassed in the original wires) Using a short broom handle to make an easier pull, I was able to run all of the mast lights/electronics and running lights,etc... As far as the starboard side, I ran the wiring thru the compartment just behind the engine to the starboard batt compartment and then up to the panels.

A little tip: If the wire that you are trying to replace is loose, Try tacking(soldering) the ends together then using the old wire as a pull line.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole