1969 Ericson 23 hull construction

mangosnrum

I recently purchased a 1969 Ericson 23 MK1 and it needs, well, everything. I will be refurbishing this boat into great shape, but for now I need to know if the hull of this boat is solely fiberglass or if it is glass and marine ply and if so, how thick the hull is. I need to install new ribs on the forward starbord side (5 are currently missing, Im assuming they were bad and got torn out by someone with greater intentions than motivation) but the inner fiberglass walls are in my way. It would make my life much easier if I were able to screw into the hull with short screws, glass over the ribs, grind the screw heads down a bit and glass over them to hide them. I believe the hull is glass/marine ply, but does anyone know the thickness of it? I would hate to punch through but I need to get those ribs replaced to maintian the hull integrity. If I cannot use screws (or even if I can), what is the best way to go about this step? I have pictures I can post soon.

PDX

Member III
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the E-23, but every other 1960s Ericson has a solid fiberglass hull, rather than a plywood laminate. The hull thickness on my boat, 1968 E-30 is approximately 3/4" where I have removed thru hulls.

Pictures would be helpful.

I don't like the idea of trying to use screws to try to reinforce hull ribbing (if I understand your project correctly). The preferred way to do this is to glass a hat section directly to the existing fiberglass.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi mangosnurm,

Welcome. What ribs are you asking about? Like PDX wrote, the hull is solid - no core so don't try to screw into it. Pictures will help :).

mangosnrum

Thanks for the replies.. I agree- I really dont want to screw into anything either. I just read somewhere that they were single marine ply.. anyway that clears that up.

I understand the glass hat method and would prefer that as well. I will take pictures this weekend of the exact area I am talking about and post them soon to get some input once we can all be looking at the same thing.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
:egrin:For the glass work use epoxy, It is compatible with all polyester resins, But that is not the case going the other way. If a repair has already been done in epoxy, polyester will not bond! and may eat the old work. For all my additions now it is epoxy and it never fails, and it does not stink to the heavens forever either! Edd:egrin: