12V DC trolling motor for dinghy

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I haven't heard any comments over the last few years about 12V trolling motors for dinghy propulsion. I happened onto one recently with the purchase of a new (used) 8ft Walker Bay from Craigslist. The dinghy itself is an improvement over the old 8ft plastic dinghy that came with my boat. Being a sailing dinghy, the Walker Bay has a shallow molded keel underneath, so it tracks nice and straight. The "dry" side of the keel molding forms a shallow bilge so the first few inches of water the boat collects doesn't even get your feet wet. It also has 3 seats, versus 2 in my old boat.

And, it came with a "free" trolling motor. The free part persuaded me to rush right out and pick up another Costco 80Ah deep cycle battery (about $85). So far, I like the trolling motor. Ok, the battery is heavy, and the top speed is low, but it's much easier to pack the dinghy with gear and a guest now that I don't have to keep an area in front of the oar locks cleared. And, since putting in solar last year, recharging the extra battery is just a matter of adding a simple switch and a few more feet of 10ga wire to the solar setup. When not in use, the motor stow easily in the aft quarterberth and the battery next to my starter battery under the stbd cockpit seat.

Gaviate

Member III
After building my dinghy, I did first water test with trolling motor, wanting to stress joints and seams as much as practical. Even though she performed nicely, I ultimately decided the battery and motor were somewhat cumbersome and I can do without for now...tho add more people or gear and the motor idea becomes more savory. Also, here in WI, any motorized craft must be registered, and be equipped with navigation lights, which could be battery operated. 2 more hurdles to cross on the way to the finish line!
I do like the idea of solar.