“NOMAD” 1992 Ericson 34-II Review this month in “Practical Sailor”

bkuchinic

Member II
For anyone interested, I met Darrell Nicholson, editor of Practical Sailor Magazine, last year when I sent the magazine a question related to one of their publications. Darrell and I corresponded, and I invited him to sail with me on NOMAD when he was visiting Chicago. He and his family took me up on the offer and we enjoyed a fantastic day of sailing on Lake Michigan. Darrell took about 1,000 photos of NOMAD and suggested he may one day write-up the E34-II in his magazine. I was surprised to learn that day had arrived, when this month’s issue hit my mailbox yesterday, featuring a review of the E34-II. Christian (Williams), you will note a plug in the article for your film ... during our sail I told Darrell about how much I enjoyed your film and e-book on your notable voyage on Thelonius.
Brad

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Max just sent the review to me, and I thought the writer did a good job.

What luck that it was Nomad as the "test boat," with knowledgeable skipper.

He seemed to "get" Ericsons, appreciate their virtues, and handle the "tender" reputation well.

I suppose it is ungallant to post their work so soon after publication, since Practical Sailor has survived for years without ads and done good work, especially for those fairly new to the game of maintenance and products.

I subscribed for 10 years and filed all the issues. Then ten years ago I threw them all out. You can do that when you're old--and it feels good!

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
it feels good!

Mostly.

When I moved out of CA I boxed up all my sailing magazines and gave them away. I had (more or less) every issue of Latitude-38, Sail, Yachting, etc. Plus every issue of what is now Sailing World, tracking back to its early days as "One Design Racing". Plus the Spyglass catalogs and the Lands End catalogs - back before they were a clothes company. There were features about the new boats expected to appear at next year's SORC, there were detailed articles of how Buddy Melges laid out the sail controls on his Soling...

I used to spend my off-seasons going through those magazines, drooling over the latest boats and gadgets, reading about the exploits of the big offshore boats and dreaming that one day I might get there.

Boxed 'em all up and gave them all to the members' library at Balboa Yacht Club.

Kinda wish I'd kept some... especially the old ones. It feels like they were the yearbooks of my childhood.

(/drift)

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Farther down the side-topic

About ten years ago, I let go of all of my periodicals collection. Mostly science journals for which I paid well over a kilobuck each year. All available on-line now, without even getting out of my chair. (As long as memberships are paid up.) Or on the phone in my pocket, as long as I have my reading glasses in the other pocket.
I called a few libraries to see if they'd accept the donation, and they just laughed at me. Finally I paid two teenagers to haul them to the recycling center. (As pay, they got my collection of Science Fiction pulps that I'd been hoarding since about 1970.) I couldn't do it myself. I don't know what 21st Century Digital Boys wanted with a ton of old pulps, and I didn't ask.
Got enough room back for a big sectional and another sofa, which is part of the suite I rent out on AirBnB, so I've certainly made back the financial loss by now, anyway