Pre- cut cabin rugs?

johnsartj8

Does anyone know of a supplier that offers, pre cut cabin sole throw rugs? I have a 1987 Ericson 32-, the throw rug in the cabin is wore out and I was hoping to find a pre cut carpet. If not I will take to a local carpet store and get some made.

Thanks

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Does anyone know of a supplier that offers, pre cut cabin sole throw rugs? I have a 1987 Ericson 32-, the throw rug in the cabin is wore out and I was hoping to find a pre cut carpet. If not I will take to a local carpet store and get some made.

Thanks
Some canvas workers can cut carpet to size and sew a binding edge on. Likely upholsterers or others with HD sewing machines could do the same. Not much help if you want a Turkish (or some such) pattern, though.

johnsartj8

What Is best backing material? I removed old ones because foam disintegrated and adhered to cabin sole. Minor problem but it requires some "elbow grease" to clean the material off the varnish

johnsartj8

Some canvas workers can cut carpet to size and sew a binding edge on. Likely upholsterers or others with HD sewing machines could do the same. Not much help if you want a Turkish (or some such) pattern, though.
Thank you, I hadn't considered a canvas maker, but that makes sense

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If I needed a cabin sole carpet, I'd probably go to a fabric outlet and look at remnant Nylon carpet, "office carpet," and see what fit the bill.

Ought to be short nap, pretty hard, so as to vacuum with a hand-held. Then cut to pattern of the sole, or to desired size.

Nylon can be cut with a hot knife, which seals the edge, no edging needed. Lots of such stuff finds application in my garage.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'm gonna take a close look at that Sailrite video.

Probably outside the box you're looking at, but: Spurred by a bout of plantar fasciitis, I threw out the worn-out (and filthy) rugs on Wild and covered the whole sole with EVA foam gym mats. Easy on the feet, add some wintertime insulation, and don't absorb dirt. (No I didn't use any of these interesting colors - just black.)
shopping

They cut to shape easily with a bread knife. Easy to peel back a small section to access bilge hatches.
They have no "backing" so don't grip the floor particularly well. If they fill the space, it's pretty stable, but if the edges are free and water gets underneath, they'll slide right out from under when you step on them. I have them in the cockpit too, but have to be wary in a seaway.
They're also handy to just rip up a square when an emergency fender or padding is needed on deck for something.

On Arcturus, I've got some pretty good non-slip easy-wash mats that came from my Mom's assisted living center. The staff brought them in when she was having severe difficulties with bathroom functions. But they don't exactly fit the space and they still absorb dirt. The closest match I can find for them is door mats, but that's not quite it. Outdoor rug?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Allow me to observe that wooden cabin soles can be painted, like any floor. Just a matter of sanding, maybe filling, maybe even resin for bad sections. Floor paint is common in houses, and could be applied to our boats when cosmetic damage to teak and holly gets bad.

If the only need is to cover damage, options exist. Not much for rugs on boats, myself.

johnsartj8

Thank you all for the ideas. I still have the old one to use as a template, so that will help. The woven vinyl from sail right looks promising.