Guest viewing is limited

New propane stove for later Ericson 38

JPT

I am interested in identifying a propane stove that I can install effectively in my 1991 Ericson 38. It was the third E38 built by Pacific Seacraft, and I believe is dimensionally identical to the Ericson 380s that PS built later. It is also virtually identical to some of the later E38s built by Ericson. It has a starboard nav station and head aft of that, so the galley is on the port side, ahead of an aft cabin. I plan to replace the existing CNG cylinder and stove that came with the boat. It has an unused propane tank locker that’s at the stern. There are a few photos that show the galley, current stove, old CNG tank and unused propane locker.

The existing CNG stove is 20 3/4 in. W x 20 3/8 H x 15 3/4 D. This includes a 2 in. D oven handle. It has 1 in. D knobs that are 1 in. away from the outer edge of the oven handle. Available width in the space is 22.00 in., and this is taken up by the gimbals at the moment.

I realize adding a propane tank, stove and all related hardware and safety equipment is expensive, but I have been looking at other options for a long time, and really want to go with propane. One problem I experienced when I looked extensively last year was that virtually all the propane stove suppliers did not provide accurate installation drawings that accounted for the space needed when the stove swivels.

I can provide more information about the specific dimensions of my existing space and stove installation, if someone thinks that would be useful. But I am hoping to find someone that has successfully installed an available propane stove, and provide me with the model number.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Jon

Attachments

• Ericson 38 survey_137_60 - Galley.jpg
    Ericson 38 survey_137_60 - Galley.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Ericson 38 survey_140_85 - Oven.jpg
    Ericson 38 survey_140_85 - Oven.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Ericson 38 survey_141_85  -  Stove.jpg
    Ericson 38 survey_141_85 - Stove.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Ericson 38 survey_058_60 - CNG cylinder & regulator.jpg
    Ericson 38 survey_058_60 - CNG cylinder & regulator.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Ericson 38 survey_049_60 - Propane tank locker.jpg
    Ericson 38 survey_049_60 - Propane tank locker.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 8

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Hi Jon,
We're replacing the old CNG stove by CSI Systems in our 1986 E35-3. The Force 10 three burner is an almost exact size replacement. We'll have to move the mounting blocks for the swivel brackets, but we're able to use the same thickness of old blocks. The following image is from the Force 10 website with reference numbers from our boat & old stove.
f63353-3_force10_3_burner_dimensions.jpg

If you haven't seen this thread, it might be useful. The other folks' information was a great help to me.

Cheers,
Jeff

JPT

Hi Jon,
We're replacing the old CNG stove by CSI Systems in our 1986 E35-3. The Force 10 three burner is an almost exact size replacement. We'll have to move the mounting blocks for the swivel brackets, but we're able to use the same thickness of old blocks. The following image is from the Force 10 website with reference numbers from our boat & old stove.
View attachment 50007

If you haven't seen this thread, it might be useful. The other folks' information was a great help to me.

Cheers,
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Your three-burner info and the attached link sound really great, and I will look into them more. I have seen a number of other CNG to propane links on the website, but not the one that started in June 2021. That looks really outstanding!

Thanks!

Jon

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Jon,

If you post your ongoing results to that thread, it will keep the information together.

A new post there will revive it and make it current. And that thread might be candidate as Master Thread on the topic.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Force 10 offers several different sizes of stoves, and their web site has detailed dimensions of each, as shown in @Prairie Schooner's post above. When I was figuring the right stove for my boat, I used those detailed drawings to create a full size profile of a stove, using a piece of corrugated cardboard. With that, I was able to "swing" the profile within the actual stove compartment in order to verify clearances.

JPT

Jon,

If you post your ongoing results to that thread, it will keep the information together.

A new post there will revive it and make it current. And that thread might be candidate as Master Thread on the topic.
Christian,

I will try to do that when I get started. However, I should tell you I expect to retire in about 12 months, and so won't have a lot of time for it this year.

Jon

JPT

Force 10 offers several different sizes of stoves, and their web site has detailed dimensions of each, as shown in @Prairie Schooner's post above. When I was figuring the right stove for my boat, I used those detailed drawings to create a full size profile of a stove, using a piece of corrugated cardboard. With that, I was able to "swing" the profile within the actual stove compartment in order to verify clearances.
Peaman, thank you! This gives me a lot of confidence that I can rely on the detailed dimensions from Force 10 to make some physical mock-ups, and then try them out.