• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

64 Bit Vista and Navigation Software

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
That was Easy...

So it turned out to be a piece of cake. just need to run the program as administrator what ever the heck that means. i now have the usb gps working with the maptech offshore lite 5.08. Only thing left to do is get the routes I created on the old pc onto the laptop. I have a few other things to move from the old pc that i hope go smoothly too but at least the stuff related to sailing went well. everthing else is just not that critical right?

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Ted,
Glad to hear things are going so well.

If you have any questions, let me know and I will try to help.

What's your new laptop like?

Bob

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Wow new laptop absolutely flies but will require some learning to take advantage. We got a gateway FX series.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9172511&type=product&id=1218043606827

Appears to be a machine set for gaming with 2.26ghz processor, 4gb ram, 1gb video memory?. I dont really know much about any of this stuff so maybe you geeks can tell me?

I'm hoping to watch movies on it. Play some games, guess i need controllers? Use it for cruise planning and to back up my Garmin 478 at the helm. Would like to download movies to watch when available. It came with some thing to watch HDTV on it>

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...pter+for+laptop&type=product&id=1218064151279

I'm not sure what I'll do with that.

stuartm80127

Member II
Vista - ouch!

I wouldn't ever buy anything with Vista installed on it based on experience shortly after it was released in its bug laden form and at the time didn't work with most software/hardware. Manufacturer(not Dell) ate the laptop and return costs because they didn't want to send me an XP-Pro DVD as a replacement. I would suggest XP Professional over XP Home edition and you are good to go for virtually most software and cool hardware alike. 64-bits on a laptop versus 32-bits - I think you will find that 32-bit software will work for many years but if you are determined to go 64-bit then wait for Windows 7 (like another poster recommended). For more geek power, you may even want to ensure that you get Intel CPU that supports 64-bit OS and has Virtualization support too (VT) and then you can run multiple OS's on your laptop over Novell SLES to handle any compatability issues - now that's being geeky :egrin:

CaptDan

Member III
>>

Au contraire.

Vista 32 has been excellent for about two years for me.
I have been using Windows 7 RC1 for over a month without any problems.

And Steven says:

"Marketshare stats are reportedly 64% XP, 23% Vista, 10% Mac, 1% Linux. Vista will soon be replaced soon by Win7, so it will never catch up. Whether or not you like Vista, looks like end of life."

I've had good experience with XP on both my PCs. One machine is a dedicated audio production device running some pretty hefty apps. It's never burped crashed or burned.

My jaundice with Vista is for good reason; it's not only incompatible with the software I've toiled to put together, (drivers, etc) but Micr0soft saw fit to include background 'crippling' algos designed to downgrade certain audio performance specs. It has to do with 'DRM,' and I'll be damned if I invest in something that isn't supposed to actually work for my purposes.

That said, my wife is a Vista-happy-camper. She runs it on her business machines and, like you, swears by it. So, to each his/her own.:rolleyes:

I thought I'd mention this so nobody'd think I was dissing MS indiscriminately.
It's just that sometimes I get a little hot under the collar with technological obsolescence, and the notion that if it works - fix it is so it doesn't. :confused:

And again, I apologize for the thread hijack.

I'll behave now.:)

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Dan, that XP machine of yours just keeps running because I bet you do not surf the net or load/unload apps with it.

Some of the worst problems I have ever seen with XP were solved by a simple rebuild. We have some users at work here that require us to rebuild their machines every 4-6months. And it is not the machine because we swap them out when they need the rebuild. Our surf filter is about as restrictive as you can get but they still manage to load up all kinds of junk.

CaptDan

Member III
Dan, that XP machine of yours just keeps running because I bet you do not surf the net or load/unload apps with it.

Yep.

When I installed the machine in my studio, I stripped it down for audio-only-application. Though I left Explorer on (I need it for FTP, etc) I don't use it for regular I-net surfing, letter writing, printing, drawing, FaceBooking, Twittering or frittering of any kind. The hi-speed cable is disconnected when I'm not engaged in file up/downloads. It's a standalone device; a digital 'tape deck,' if you will.

I keep the 'office' PC for doing everything else - like communicating with the fine folks here.:egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Captron

Member III
XP Rebuild

Some of the worst problems I have ever seen with XP were solved by a simple rebuild. We have some users at work here that require us to rebuild their machines every 4-6months. And it is not the machine because we swap them out when they need the rebuild. Our surf filter is about as restrictive as you can get but they still manage to load up all kinds of junk.

Not to mention the Microsoft 'Automatic Updates' themselves. SP3 totally corrupted my machine in attempting to perform the update while connected to the Microsoft website over a broadband internet connection (Verizon).
Various experts attempted to solve the problem and failed. The laptop would boot but it refused any attempt to connect to the internet.

The solution turned out to be downloading an entire copy of the SP3 release to a thumb drive using another computer, then attempting the update from the thumb drive while not connected to anything. That seemed to work but then I had to rebuild everything from scratch; i.e. run registry cleaners, antivirus, malware scanners, reinstall the DSL software, etc. Finally with a clean install, I could then set about rebuilding all of my Firefox bookmarks, etc which were lost somewhere in the ether. Fortunately all of the apps survived. Once SP3 was correctly installed, everything worked normally.
:egrin:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
You guys are scaring me now. I am so far loving my new laptop with vista. All my software works great and I now have the storage capacity to hold all my music in I-tunes. Which with the new stereo on the boat I can play music from the laptop through the stereo. Next step is to get some movies uploaded and see if I can use the sound system...

One thing that has been a little bit of a hiccup is changing GPS receivers. I have found that the laptop does not like me switching from the Garmin 478 receiver to the small usb reciever and vice versa. The garmin is for the helm but I wanted to keep getting position info on the laptop below. The solution would be to hardwire the Garmin at the helm to the laptop but since the boat is for sale I am reluctant to do so. Laptop/Garmin etc. do not convey in sale.

So i configure my routes on the laptop then upload them to the garmin. I just have to do a little hand holding to get the laptop happy again once I change gps receivers.

CWM

Chuck
>> I've had good experience with XP on both my PCs. One machine is a dedicated audio production device running some pretty hefty apps. It's never burped crashed or burned.
My jaundice with Vista is for good reason; it's not only incompatible with the software I've toiled to put together, (drivers, etc) but Micr0soft saw fit to include background 'crippling' algos designed to downgrade certain audio performance specs. It has to do with 'DRM,' and I'll be damned if I invest in something that isn't supposed to actually work for my purposes.
That said, my wife is a Vista-happy-camper. She runs it on her business machines and, like you, swears by it. So, to each his/her own.:rolleyes:
I thought I'd mention this so nobody'd think I was dissing MS indiscriminately.
It's just that sometimes I get a little hot under the collar with technological obsolescence, and the notion that if it works - fix it is so it doesn't. :confused:

Capt Dan:

Thanks for detailing what your problems were with Vista.

As a computer consultant, I purchase, test, and use different hardware and software, so that I can provide credible advice to clients, as opposed to quoting heresy/hype/etc.

And, "sometimes I get a little hot under the collar" with generalized and evangelical bashing of Windows (or Macs) by people who clearly have little or no experience with the product they are bashing.

Also, I do not "swear by Vista", I swear by what works for a given user. For normal use, I use what works best for me, and that currently is Windows 7 RC.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very similar thread today on the Cascadia List (NW sailors), and there seems to be good commentary on something called "Rose Point."
Copy pasting this comment for you consideration:

"Here's a fairly comprehensive list of Charting programs. A check of those in your price range is an easy CLICK away.
Each has an internet site... http://freenavcharts.com/index.php?page=HelpInfo&subpage=NavSoftware
I'd sure check out each and what they offer."

Best,
Loren

CaptDan

Member III
>>

"sometimes I get a little hot under the collar" with generalized and evangelical bashing of Windows (or Macs) by people who clearly have little or no experience with the product they are bashing.

Also, I do not "swear by Vista", I swear by what works for a given user. For normal use, I use what works best for me, and that currently is Windows 7 RC.

I'm quite familiar with 'digital dogma.':) In my former life I had opportunity to spend plenty of time in the hallowed halls of Silicon Valley - Apple, Intel, SGI, HP, etc. I was exposed to all the 'religions.' I'll leave it at that.

Also, I'm keeping a close eye on Win7's development. I'm considering some upgrades in my studio and it may be that op/sys will play a key role in my decision making.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Bob Robertson

Member III
!Kidding!:rolleyes:

Huh, I had assumed, obviously incorrectly in some cases, that the pro Apple, evangelical Windows/Vista/MS bashers were probably living in some type of Assisted Boating Facility.

That being true, I could easily understand why they couldn't quickly adapt to Vista.

(It's still a bit early here. If my, perhaps weak, attempt at humor did not come across as intended it is totally withdrawn.)

Enjoy,
Bob

Captron

Member III
Explorer Charts

I've been looking over the MapTech site and recently discovered that they have a 'new' provider for their Bahamas coverage. The 'New' provider is 'WavyLine' Charts.

WavyLine makes charts that cover the Turks & Caicos Islands, Dominican Republic and most of the Caribbean (areas not covered by Explorer). While they're ok charts, they are not as good as Explorer Charts when it comes to the Bahamas. In fact, the T&C charts are wrong in places, you can ask my firends on Mandalay about their grounding and rudder damage due to errors there.

Explorer Charts are now supported only on C-Map Max and C-Map NT, BlueChart 6.0 and Nobeltec's Passport Deluxe. I do not recommend MapTech's 'update' to the Bahamas based on the Wavyline series.

It's also likely that if you have the Bahamas on a Maptech format CD from say more than 3 years ago, it's the Explorer version and Fugawi can read them as well. In fact I'll bet that if you have the BlueChart, C-Map or Passport versions of the Explorer charts that you can use them with Fugawi.

Fugawi is not only cheap but it seems to read about every format of digital chart that's available including my Maptech library. Maptech is getting close to making my list of unfavorites. It's been a while since I ran Fugawi, I guess it deserves another look.

It also turns out that Maptech now charges for tide table updates. They used to be free. I don't particularly care as I have perpetual tide tables for the world (I think) in a separate application. WXTide32.

Nope I was mistaken. WXTide32 only goes out to 2037 but it is worldwide. Hey what do you want for FREE! Check it out at http://www.wxtide32.com/
its cool. By the way the new version is WXTide47.

Try it you'll like it ... oops dating myself again.
:egrin:

evm

Member II
+1 Rose Point

Very similar thread today on the Cascadia List (NW sailors), and there seems to be good commentary on something called "Rose Point."
Copy pasting this comment for you consideration:

"Here's a fairly comprehensive list of Charting programs. A check of those in your price range is an easy CLICK away.
Each has an internet site... http://freenavcharts.com/index.php?page=HelpInfo&subpage=NavSoftware
I'd sure check out each and what they offer."

Best,
Loren

I use Rose Point's Coastal Explorer and am very happy. It has loaded up on all vista and XP machines that I've tried as well as a Windows emulator running under Linux (Centos) that I tried out one day.

I use to run Maptech ON but did not like the companies take on chart fees and the attitude of a few of their sales staff that I talked to. Just my choice. (not to speak of the law suit on BSB encryption decoders).

I've found the folks at Rose Point to be approachable.

Regards, ethan

PS I notice that Milltech Marine is still running their discount on CE when you buy an AIS receiver. $299 rather than $399. I use CE with AIS and really like it. Getting data on AIS equipped ships has been quite helpful. (No interest in either company other than a satisfied customer)

Last edited:

white74

Open CPN

openCPN 2.1.0 working well with win7 64 bit use raster and vector maps from NOAA all free and open source software as well
for the mac and linux users there is also versions for them if you had tried opencpn in the past give it a second look they have revamped the interface and added a lot of features making it as easy to use as any other nav software out there

steven

Sustaining Member
Thanks for tip on Open CPN. Wasn't aware of it.

Have downloaded and now messing around with it (on XP). Comparing to Seaclear.

Haven't hooked it up to GPS yet, but so far seems pretty good. Easy to load up the charts and the quilting feature seems to work pretty well.

Can't figure out how to merge routes. I might have to read the documentation (even though I don't believe in the concept of documentation).

--Steve

steven

Sustaining Member
GPS antenna

I'm liking this software so far. . .

. . . but turns out my GPS antenna is shot.

Anyone with recommendations on a GPS antenna for hookup to PC? Also, suggestions welcome on USB v. WiFi v. Bluetooth.

Thanks

--Steve

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm liking this software so far. . .

. . . but turns out my GPS antenna is shot.

Anyone with recommendations on a GPS antenna for hookup to PC? Also, suggestions welcome on USB v. WiFi v. Bluetooth.

Thanks

--Steve

http://www.gpsnavx.com/
And then click on the link for the BU-353 usb gps antenna. I have used one for several years. Works fine -- it's a Mac/Windows/whatever device.

lb

Attachments

• BU353_datasheet.pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited: