• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

CDI Roller Furler

Dave G

Member II
I am looking to add roller furling on my E29, does anyone have any experience with CDI Furlers? How about any tips on roller furlers in general, what to look for , what to avoid, etc?

Always appreciate the input and advice found here, Thanks in advance.

Dave

Seth

Sustaining Partner
CDI

The CDI is a decent system-mainly intended for smaller boats. It has more plastic and less metal than the Harken and Profurl systems, which I think are the best values (there are better systems out there, but very expensive).

If you plan on a lot of heavy usage, including reefing headsails in big breeze, you may want to step up to a better system. If you don't expect such heavy use, then the CDI will be OK.

Enjoy!

Seth

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rolling in some opinions...

Seth called it about as I see it. When we converted from foil to furler, we looked at the ones that did well (mid 90's) in the surveys in PS. We went with Harken (foil shape) over Schaefer (round shape) just to get the extra nano-knot of speed from the foil...
:rolleyes:

Both were top rated by the evaluaters as well.
There were other good choices that were maybe one click below these two. As to Hood, at that time both PS and a friend with one of ther double-line models dissed them... the line slipped under load. :(

Their standard drum model might have been just fine, for all I knew.
I have a buddy with an older Reckman on his 38 foot boat, and it is a solid well-engineered unit. I have met happy owners of ProFurl, also.
The CDI seems to be lower on the approval scale, due to accusations of lesser materials and evidence of cost-cutting.
I know a happy CDI owner with an O'Day 25. The boat is used actively, and he is able to drop the mast each season, being very carefull with the furler.

For all I know, there may not be very many really bad choices these days...
I would go with a Harken again, no question.

Best,
Loren