• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stern Anchor setup

ref_123

Member III
Hi, all,

anyone wants to share their experience and knowledge in using a stern anchor? How do you stow the rode for it? How do you deploy it and, what is more interesting, how do you retrieve it without scratching the gelcoat?

Two obvious ways to set up the rode: either put a pipe trough the transom or through the lasarette in the cockpit. Both have advantages and problems, but I think the pipe in the cockpit may be a lesser evil. We had some REALLY unpleasant experiences with the pipe on the stern of a charter boat. Weather was somewhat windy, the anchor was stubborn, and I was close to very undesirable dip into the drink. My wife was holding the wheel with one hand and my harness with the other while I had to step on the ladder... In case if the question arises later, that was Frys Harbor at the Santa Cruz Island, CA. Those who have been there know that a single anchor is not an option :).

As for the retrieval, on a charter boat it was not an issue: some scratches on pulpit and gelcoat (although I tried my best to avoid it as much as possible) are considered a "normal wear and tear". On our boat though it seems not such a tempting thought... Can anyone share ideas on how you work it out on your Ericsons? I did not see people setting up rollers on the stern yet, but may be it is not that crazy a thought, after all?

Thanks,
Stan & Tanya,
Ericson 32-3 "Fire Eater"