• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 38-200 (1986) Hull

juneausailin

Member II
Hi, have been looking at one of these, Just curious if this hull would be a non-cored hull? I have seen some posts mentioning Airex cores.. From the spec sheet: monocoque fiberglass hull. Can someone expand on that as well? Would be much obliged...

-David

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The 1986 38-200 is a solid FRP hull. No core. There is end grain balsa core on deck but everything below the hull/deck joint is solid.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The 1986 38-200 is a solid FRP hull. No core. There is end grain balsa core on deck but everything below the hull/deck joint is solid.

Right as usual!
I am always thankful that Ericson achieved hull stiffness with their patented internal grid scheme rather than with coring. Coring is indeed good from an engineering standpoint, but I would rather not have the potential maintenance worry in an aging hull.

If my Ericson-built Olson were cored, it would be about 2K # lighter... and a few micro-knots faster... so I'm told... :nerd:
But the overall problem with speed in my boat would still be operator error!
:)

As the decades add up, I'm glad that Ericson used a solid layup. As I and the boat get older, that's one less thing to worry about! :rolleyes:

LB
:egrin:

Last edited:

juneausailin

Member II
Surveyor in the Puerta Vallarta area

Curious if anyone can recommend a good surveyor in the Puerta Vallarta area by chance?