• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Anchor Bow Roller

sv_naidia

Member II
I am seeking some ideas for a bow roller on the E34T. I've attached a pic below of the current set up. Given that the roller would be offset around the stem fitting, I am thinking to relocate the existing running lights to the pulpit railing which would leave room for many off the shelf roller assembly options. I welcome any ideas or pictures for those of you who have crossed this path already. Thanks in advance to all who could shed some light. :egrin:

--Ron

Attachments

• Fwd Deck 1.jpg
    Fwd Deck 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Stainless Steel Fun

Anchor rollers and upgrades have been discussed around here before.
Here's one thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=7269&referrerid=28 (see reply 15)
And another:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=7863&referrerid=28

And one of the best ones:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8496&referrerid=28

There are others too -- you may need to invoke a Tag search.

Moving the Red/Green light up to the pulpit is a good move in any case. I did that on our prior boat. The cutting/fitting & welding of a new ss cross-bar was tedious but it all looked great when done.

Regards,
Loren

ps: note that one of the two original welded tack horns did need to be removed to make room for the roller frame.

Attachments

• O34 AnchorRoller Port.jpg
    O34 AnchorRoller Port.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:

sv_naidia

Member II
Loren,

Thanks for your reply and links to the other threads. I like the arrangement of the pic you attached, was this on your O34 or which model boat was this done on? Was the roller an off the shelf unit or did you have one fabricated specific to your boat? Like you, I agree totally with moving the running lights to the pulpit. I planned on running the wiring through the stainless tubing and below decks from one of the forward bases.

Your responses are always spot on and very much appreciated.

I'll be sure to post the final product once it is in place.

--Ron

Last edited:

sv_naidia

Member II
Loren,

Thanks again. Minney's is the best. I have done business with them on numerous occasions. For those looking for used sails or misc. items (like anchor rollers) :egrin:, they have always been my first stop.

Regards,

--Ron

Glyn Judson

Minney's is the best.

All, I too have found wonderful treasures at Minney's by merely ambling down the narrow isles. Also, don't fail to visit the consignment list maintained by Good Old Boat Magazine for equally valuable finds at http://www.goodoldboat.com/resources_for_sailors/consignment_stores.php. I have a pair of Barlow 23, 2-speed, self tailing primaries I bought from Marine Consignment of Wickford RI eons ago and that's just one of many other items I've gotten from that list and eBay. Cheers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I am seeking some ideas for a bow roller on the E34T. I've attached a pic below of the current set up. Given that the roller would be offset around the stem fitting, I am thinking to relocate the existing running lights to the pulpit railing which would leave room for many off the shelf roller assembly options. I welcome any ideas or pictures for those of you who have crossed this path already. Thanks in advance to all who could shed some light. :egrin:

--Ron

I like your big center cleat and the chocks (I have 8" cleats where your chocks are, and no center cleat). Is the deck reinforced for the cleat? Not a fan of your running light placement, though.

Do you have access to the underside of the deck up there? I have a small door in the forward bulkhead, but there's no way I can get enough of a shoulder through it to access the cleat or pulpit bolts, let alone the very front where bow roller bolts should go.

I'm not a fan of my pulpit. I was considering a custom, sturdier, pulpit with an integral roller. But I'm dying to see what solutions you come up with.

Here's a pic of my bow.

wolly bugger

Member II
anchor roller

Ron,
You can see pic. of my set up on the last link of Loren first reply. We have different boat but very similar bow section. It has been working great for me. I pull the anchor by hand and what a difference it made.
I also had to move the running light to the bow pulpit and run the wire inside the tubing. I took the opportunity to switch to led at the same time.

sv_naidia

Member II
cleats, lights and rollers...

I like your big center cleat and the chocks (I have 8" cleats where your chocks are, and no center cleat). Is the deck reinforced for the cleat? Not a fan of your running light placement, though.

Do you have access to the underside of the deck up there? I have a small door in the forward bulkhead, but there's no way I can get enough of a shoulder through it to access the cleat or pulpit bolts, let alone the very front where bow roller bolts should go.

I'm not a fan of my pulpit. I was considering a custom, sturdier, pulpit with an integral roller. But I'm dying to see what solutions you come up with.

Here's a pic of my bow.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the deck has been reinforced with an epoxied in place large G10 backing plate. I noticed in your pic that your running lights are missing from the deck, where are yours located? I am searching for ideas. The Aqua Signal Series 40 Bi Colored light is the animal I have been eyeing. Yes, access is limited and maybe much like yours. There is barely enough room to get an arm and part of a shoulder forward enough to get a socket on the cleat and pulpit bolt nuts. I do like the newer style pulpit but unfortunately the PO's didn't incorporate the roller, hence, my posting.... I'll be sure to post the final result.

Ron

sv_naidia

Member II
Ron,
You can see pic. of my set up on the last link of Loren first reply. We have different boat but very similar bow section. It has been working great for me. I pull the anchor by hand and what a difference it made.
I also had to move the running light to the bow pulpit and run the wire inside the tubing. I took the opportunity to switch to led at the same time.

Stephan,

Thanks for your reply. I like your set up and yes, your bow seems very similar to the E34T as both have space constraints. Which LED light did you choose?

Ron

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the deck has been reinforced with an epoxied in place large G10 backing plate. I noticed in your pic that your running lights are missing from the deck, where are yours located? I am searching for ideas. The Aqua Signal Series 40 Bi Colored light is the animal I have been eyeing. Yes, access is limited and maybe much like yours. There is barely enough room to get an arm and part of a shoulder forward enough to get a socket on the cleat and pulpit bolt nuts. I do like the newer style pulpit but unfortunately the PO's didn't incorporate the roller, hence, my posting.... I'll be sure to post the final result.

Ron

I have a red/green light hanging under the leading edge of the top rail of the pulpit.

sv_naidia

Member II
I have a red/green light hanging under the leading edge of the top rail of the pulpit.

Mark, thanks for your reply. I was considering the Aqua Signal Bi Color light to be mounted in the same location as yours. Sorry if my previous email indicated a different location. It would surely free up the area around and below the furler drum for the offset roller assembly.