• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Base Plate alignment

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I just noticed that my mast base plate is slightly out of alignment by a few degrees. I assume this is factory because the original screw holes are the only ones present. Of course nothing on the boat is exactly lined up, based on some simple string measurements, but this seems like it needs to be fixed. However; I hate the thought of trying to fill the holes and re-drill them very slightly off center. Seems like the drill bit will simply slip back into the original holes and I will be right back where I started.

Any suggestions? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

Thanks,

Doug

013-1.jpg

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
If it worked OK for 39 years it is probably good enough... But you may want to go to exhaustive lengths to true up this as well as the rest of the boat...I have heard rumors that the wind has gotten a hold of a plumb line, ruler and laser level, with the whole energy conservation thing going on, nature will soon do it's part by only supplying a breeze to vessels that "measure up" :egrin:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I know, I know, don't fix what ain't broke. I should take that advice more often...

However in this case it may have worked for 39 years in that the spar is still up, but it looks like the boat suffered a spreader base failure sometime in the past. A couple degrees of misalignment on the orientation of the mast could move the spreader tips pretty far out of alignment with the middle chainplates. Over time I imagine this could stress the base of the spreader pretty significantly. I'm talking with a rigger soon and will report back what he says.

sleather

Sustaining Member
I just noticed that my mast base plate is slightly out of alignment by a few degrees. I assume this is factory because the original screw holes are the only ones present. Of course nothing on the boat is exactly lined up, based on some simple string measurements, but this seems like it needs to be fixed. However; I hate the thought of trying to fill the holes and re-drill them very slightly off center. Seems like the drill bit will simply slip back into the original holes and I will be right back where I started.

Any suggestions? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

Thanks,

Doug

I've got a hand tool that's a poor man's drill guide/90* angle guide. It's got a 3/4" thick metal head, with multiple holes up to 1/4" and it's backed with cork so it doesn't slip. Made by Stanley, check your hardware store. You could also predrill a piece of metal bar stock and glue some cork on that to keep the bit from wandering.

The spreader base failure "could" be related IMHO. ;)