• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New 1971 Ericson 29 and new sailor to boot

Wolfy189

Member I
New E29 owner and new sailor to boot
Greetings, With Sean's advice, I'm starting this thread as an introduction of myself as someone extremely green to the sailboating experience. Never the less, and with next to no knowledge, I have purchased a 1971 Ericson 29 in what i'm told is "fair to good" condition. It has been outside and out of the water for 3 years under shrink wrap. For the past month it has been inside where I've been scrubbing it clean. We are less than 30 days away from being able to put her back in the water but I don't have a "details" list of what to do to make the transition back into the water. It appears to have been well winterized and the boat yard owner said the previous owner took excellent of her up until he passed away. The boat yard owner took the mast off for me and will put it back on but getting it started and to it's slip is up to me. And for that I don't have a clue. There is an atomic 4 that looks well maintained but I'm sure it hasn't been run for the past few years while sitting. I suppose I'll just have to connect a battery and go for it. Anybody live near South Haven Michigan want to come by for some personal coaching/instruction? As far as equipment goes, it has several sails, a spinnaker, man overboard device, a marine radio, 2 compasses, depth finder, knots indicator and thats about it. The marine radio appears very old. I notice on many boats a windspeed and direction indicator on top of the mast but mine does not. I am wanting to have as inexpensive a first year sailing as possible but also won't compromise safety. So in a nutshell that is where I'm at and what I'm up to. I'm totally open to direction and instruction and want to do it right. We have been familiarizing ourselves with "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship". Very helpful but much of it will make more sense later I'm guessing. Eventually will attend formal education but I don't want to miss the season just because I don't know it all. We are giddy with excitement to sail and explore the coast. Thanks in advance all of you who respond! Sincerely, Jon Clark

AleksT

Member III
Ask around if anyone needs crew on any beer can races in your area. It is a great way to learn or fine tune your sailing skills. It will also make you more confident with own boat.

kari

Member III
Wolfy: I suggest you check out sailnet.com and anything-sailing.com join and post the same message there...also on those sites are some great how to videos...congrats and good luck Kari (Mike L)

Wolfy189

Member I
Thanks Aleks and Kari for the input. I am hoping the various yacht clubs associated with the marina will offer some class instruction. I know a few sailors as well that should get me pointed in the right direction. Sure is gonna be a blast learning it! Jon

thomthod

Member II
Wolfy congrats!

I too bought a 71 E-29. I bought the boat from the marina I reside in and I was told the beta marine 20 was in good working order. Not so, however the owner is making good on the deal. I am going to have a brand new engine once everything is said and done.

Good luck with that Atomic 4!

T

sleather

Sustaining Member
Welcome to the wonderful world of learning on the fly, I remember it well, and there was no Internet to smooth out the learning process. :egrin:

One word of caution, before you try starting the engine, remove all of that 3 year old fuel. Nothing good will come of it. IF your area has 10% ethanol you should really replace all of the 1971 fuel lines if they haven't already been upgraded.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
It is not that hard to do. It is kinda like golf, almost anyone can do it, practice will make you better, some days will always make you feel like an armature, and the smart players keep the cool ones at the clubhouse! If you take care of your boat it will forgive all but the most acreages mistakes, so relax and have fun.

dt222

Member III
Congrats

Congrats Jon on your purchase.

A good source for help with your Atomic 4 is moyermarine.com

Also, it would be a great investment of your time to seek out a basic seamanship and sailing course offered by the Coast Guard Auxiliary or Power Squadron in your area.

Don