• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Today's Surf Report. Hold Fast!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
.SYNOPSIS FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA COAST AND SANTA BARBARA CHANNEL
INCLUDING THE CHANNEL ISLANDS NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY...AT 10Z...
OR 2 AM PST...TSUNAMI WARNINGS AND ADVISORIES HAVE BEEN ISSUED.

A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR AREAS NORTH OF POINT CONCEPTION
WHILE A TSUNAMI ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR AREAS SOUTH OF POINT
CONCEPTION. TSUNAMIS WILL NOT AFFECT MARINERS ON THE OPEN WATERS.
HOWEVER...THE TSUNAMI WAVES WILL AFFECT THE LOCAL HARBORS.
MARINERS SHOULD TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS FOR THEIR MARINE
CRAFT AS DAMAGING WAVES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE HARBORS.

:scared:

http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=pzz655&syn=pzz600

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
I just came to my marina (Loch Lomond in San Rafael) and saw the water entering and swirling around inside. It must have been coming in at 2 or 3 knots. The water level came up about 2 or 3 feet within 10 minutes. Apparently this has happened several times already this morning. Looks like it's going back out again now.

Mikebat

Member III
No discernible activity at Cabrillo Marina when I left a little before 9:00am this morning. The marina staff was going around asking everyone to get off the docks. :rolleyes:

Sven

Seglare
The water rose and fell about 1-2 feet (~3 feet total ?) a few times. Marked the concrete posts with masking tape again to see the change.

MDR reported that they were closed and all the navigational markers in Oceanside were supposedly considered to be off station.

Redondo was closed about an hour ago.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
No discernible activity at Cabrillo Marina when I left a little before 9:00am this morning. The marina staff was going around asking everyone to get off the docks. :rolleyes:

I know some retired live a boards that like to sleep in till noon, bet they we're not happy about that wake up call. :jawsdown:

ChrisS

Member III
Latitude 38 has a good report of what's happening, both in California as well as in Japan:

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2011-03-11&dayid=555

Inside the SF bay it sounds like there is strong surge, but coastal harbors like Santa Cruz that aren't protected by a large estuary are getting the most damage.

I phoned the marina in Sausalito where my boat is berthed, and they tell me that the water level is changing, but that the movement is neither violent nor extreme.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Sounds like Cat Harbor was hit pretty bad.

The Main Channel in San Pedro was running like a river, with 2-3 swings of about 4 feet.

Sven

Seglare
Sounds like Cat Harbor was hit pretty bad.

Where did you read/hear that ? There are so few news options for two harbors. I'm still wondering how the sailboat ended up above the high water mark on the beach on Monday but don't know where to go find the answer.

Thanks,

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
Yeah that makes complete sense - you'd not want to be in Cat Harbor when the surge began. I can picture in different circumstances, waves washing over the isthmus.

On one of the news shows the reporter asked oceanographer where in the world would be the worst place for a tsunami forming earthquake to occur, and she explained that they have done modeling to answer this question, and it turns out that the eastern Aleutians is the area So. California should be concerned about.