• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin Sole Finish

GMaurer

Member II
I've used nothing but Cetol on the sole for many years.
The sole is physically in great condition, but the Cetol is leaving a dull, yellowish finish.
Suggestions for an alternate?
Surface preparation required?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Although I'm no expert, especially compared to the folks on this site :egrin:, I redid our cabin sole earlier this year and am pleased with the result. There used to be a product made specifically for this purpose that was very popular, but they apparently went out of business.

I did a light sanding to get rid of gloss, dirt, etc. and refinished with two coats of semi-gloss exterior polyurethane. It is holding up well, not too slippery when wet and looks good.

I would suspect that you will have to sand the cetol back to wood--very carefully as the veneer is thin and you don't want to sand through it.

Others may have better options.

Frank

wheelerwbrian

Member III
Ultimate Sole. It was good stuff - I'm parsing out my can of it slowly...

Someone suggested what they use on basketball courts as a possible alternative but I have no idea what it is.

vbenn

Member III
I've used up all of my Ultimate Sole. The Epiphanes tech dept told me that I can use any of their varnishes to overcoat Ultimate Sole after a light sanding.

My cabin sole has a few dark areas near the edges, apparently from moisture infiltration. Does anyone have experience with correcting this?

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
PSC Ericson 380 #22