• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Isthmus this weekend ?

Sven

Seglare
We plan to finally head back out there on Saturday morning.

Is anyone else going ?

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Do you want to borrow my propane heater? Sorry, the Pride Of Cucamonga will be staying close to shore.

My buddy, Eddie, aka Capt. UpChuck is planing a full moon night crossing on Friday the 18th with his ("If it's not Scottish it's crrrrrrrrap") MacGregor 22. But I know if the swells are more than 4 feet he won't be going.

Personally, I am saving up vacation time for a bit warmer days.

I don't think you will have any shortage of wind this coming weekend. :egrin:

Beam Winds!

Sven

Seglare
I don't think you will have any shortage of wind this coming weekend. :egrin:

Beam Winds!

You sure got that right !

We were coming back on Monday but forget about it !!!

A beam wind of 42 knots (highest I measured, not the highest we had) when tied bow and stern is very interesting. You start wondering how good the moorings are and if you shouldn't drop the stern line.

Some damage to the gel coat on the bow as the hawser was on the starboard
side and the wind from port. No way to move it over when the gusts were pushing us over 20° or more.

Also found out that the stern chocks are highly directional. When holding a line going to the dock they are fine and present a nice round surface. On the other hand, when the load is from behind or from the opposite side they present an almost knife edge. When I saw that a couple of strands of the stern hawser were already cut (not chafed) I took the hawser out of the chock and wrapped it in layers of towels, resting against bare fiberglass.

One sailboat on the beach, east of the dock. It was resting above the high water mark.

-Sven

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Oh my God, I thought you were talking about going over this coming weekend. Were you over there Sunday night? It was blowing like stink here in Pedro. Shredded my canopy in the back yard and knocked over all the patio furniture. Well, I guess your getting some good experience. Probably would have been a bit more protected in Cat Harbor. :scared:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi Mark. Hey, I like the look of those moorings they have up there in the bay. Looks like they would be a lot easier on the hull compared to the steel cans we have around Catalina.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mark,

Hey Sven,

Good thing you weren't moored at Angel Island (SF Bay) with those winds, http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2011-03-07&dayid=553

That kind of situation is why I'm so worried about the financial heath of the Isthmus operation. They have even put the Garibaldi up for sale ... the last sale fell through so Dave (who used to be the G. skipper) said they will haul and re-certify before putting it into service for snorkling this summer with the intent to sell at the end of the season.

If they don't start getting more customers I'd hesitate to keep trusting their moorings in a blow :esad:

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jeff,

Probably would have been a bit more protected in Cat Harbor. :scared:

We were very exposed. When we arrived the forecast said winds increasing towards Monday afternoon. Since we expected to be halfway home before the predicted small craft conditions we opted for privacy. There were seven boats tied up at the west end of Cherry cove, behind the cliffs, so we asked for a mooring at the East end. We were assigned Bravo 14 which is probably 150-200' from the rocks, nice and private as we requested, but out in the open. Most of the night the wind would have blown us just past the point if the moorings had let go.

The weather just arrived sooner than it was supposed to. :rolleyes: Our slip neighbor called us to make sure we weren't out and about on our way home during the blow. He said it was really bad down in San Pedro.

I do wonder who lost a boat and how. There was also a report of some lost hikers and Baywatch was going out to check their boat (to see if the hikers were on board ?).

With the diver cardiac arrest on Saturday afternoon it was a not-so-good weekend for a lot of folks. We still managed to look around and read and comment about how beautiful it all was despite the howling and bouncing.

-Sven