• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Davit yes, Davit no, I don't know

skywalker

Member II
Well just when I've made up my mind to get davits I read more stuff and change my mind. From what I have read here it seems that the Ericson is not very well suited for these stainless protuberances.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6136&highlight=davits

The main issue appears to be weight. I just don't understand though how on a boat that weighs over 7 tonnes that carryng a 100lb inflatable boat can affect the balance that much.

Also currently I have 20' of chain and 200' of nylon rode. My plan is to add a windlass plus 150' of chain. I would think that adding weight to the bow would negate any weight aft. Am I out to lunch? Surely there must be some E-38's with davit and chain combinations out there sailing succesfully. Anyone?

Last edited:

e38sailorman

Member II
I have davits on my 89 E38-200, PO put them on, my inflatable and outboard are light, about 100 or 110 pounds. They work great, no noticable change in trim on the boat, for pete's sake the weight of different drivers could be that much! Best part is not worrying about the dink being towed when crossing open water like the Straits of Jaun De Fuca and Straits of Georgia. Worst part is they look OK, but certainly don't add to the beautiful lines of an E38.

Marc
E38 WaveWalker

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My friend's and current member of EYO has davits on his 34-200 and we race the boat fairly sucessfully. I would not worry about it too much. Especially if you are adding chain to help the balance.

If you are not sure, total the weight of your davits, dink and OB and hang that off your transom and go sailing to see how it affects your balance. One of your 200lb+ friends on the swim ladder should do the trick.

Last edited:

skywalker

Member II
I have davits on my 89 E38-200, PO put them on, my inflatable and outboard are light, about 100 or 110 pounds. They work great, no noticable change in trim on the boat, for pete's sake the weight of different drivers could be that much

Hey Marc thanks for your reply. I was thinking of getting those davits that fold in when not in use. What's the ground tackle your using?

e38sailorman

Member II
Ben,

I have a 35lb Bruce with 50' of 3/8" chain and 250' of 5/8" nylon rode. In the winter and when I occassionly race I take the anchor and chain off, the bow comes up a noticeable amonut. The boat floats on her lines, haven't had to raise the waterline like i did on my prior boat.

Marc

Second Star

Member III
When we bought our E28+ it was fitted with davits. They were heavy duty white aluminum plate type (sort of like a bent "I" beam). While they made no difference wrt weight and balance, our Walker Bay 8 ft would catch water like a scoop when the sailboat heeled under sail. This was rather alarming and we decided to remove them. The main issue IMO is to ensure that the dingy can be lifted up enough that it doesn't drag when the sailboat is heeled over.

skywalker

Member II
Ya I was sailing with a buddy on a Sabre 38 last year in the USVI who had his dinghy up in his davits and the same thing happened to us a couple of times. Its definitely something to be aware of including following seas and rain. If I decide to get them I would make sure that they could get the dinghy quite high. Thanks for your input.