• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Defender drops Garmin

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Have a GPSmap 76 that I keep as backup. First Garmin decided to not support it with updates in the future. Then I found that one of the zoom buttons had popped off. I called Garmin and asked about repair. $96.00 for a BUTTON! I know the case/architecture is still in production. A keypad is pennys to them, a tech could change it out in less than 3 minutes. Somehow this is worth $96.00??? Sorry, two strikes is enough, Garmin can bite me. I should also add that this unit was incredibly lightly used. Check the batteries once in a while and as an occasional anchor alarm, no way it should be that fragile.

RT

CaptDan

Member III
Garmin can bite me.

I've owned three Garmin GPSs and haven't had a problem with any of 'em. Two I still own and use - an eTrex Legend and 276C. Other than a brief operational Q&A with customer service, I have no experience with their support, though I'm aware of many complaints.

It seems some hi-tech companies tend to overcharge to repair discontinued models, and Garmin is no exception it seems. Anyway I guess I'm in the minority here, but these are my 2 cents and worth no more.:)

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

hodo

Member III
Garmin Tech Service

I just wanted to pass on my experieence with Garmin. Last summer I installed the Garmin GMI 10 system on Mischief Maker. After the last spate of high winds, 40-60 knt gusts,I developed a hum in the anemometer that transmits down the mast. I determined it was the anemometer, went to W.M., where I purchased it, they called Garmin tech, and let me exlain. Took about ten minutes for them to decide to send me out a new replacement, and they said to keep the old one for parts, if ever needed.
Not what I expected after hearing some stories from different folks. :egrin: Garmin gets no complaints from me. Also, the system is great!

Harold and Jessie, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker