• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The Journey to find our "Good Old Boat"

Keiffer

Member II
March of last year after months of searching the internet and local marinas we narrowed our choices to three different Ericsons. We set out on a five day journey that covered over 2300 miles through ten different states.

The link below is an overview of that trip and the three boats we looked at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuaYTthbpRo

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Neat!!

Nice "travel" video.
Being poorly organized, it took us a year to find our current boat!
Thanks much for sharing.

Fair winds,
Loren

Keiffer

Member II
Thanks for the comments, this was my first attempt at a video like that. It is too cold to work on the boat so I had to do something.

Tim, your site is one of the sites I visit and have enjoyed looking at some of your previous projects on your Ericson.

I am looking forward to more on your new boat (home) as well.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Keiffer. Our story is a little different. We traveled up and down the eastern seaboard from Feb to Aug only to find our boat in our own back yard cruising from Texas. The delivery took 30 minutes.

I just updated my site with some info about the fuel polishing/transfer system I installed. Next up, I think, is modifying the interior lighting.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Keiffer
That was a great documentation of your quest to find a boat. My quest for Rumkin was a bit longer in years and shorter in travel. The first time I visited Rome Sailing Club in 2000 Rumkin was sitting there with a For Sale sign held by rusty wire and I stopped and held the bow pulpit for a while and thought how I would like a boat like her. I don’t think I walked past her going to my Neptune 24 without feeling drawn to her. I finally bought her in March of 2004 against the advice of many in the club. Gas engine, not sailed in six years, probably junk; now they see her as I did as the finest boat in the marina.

Silly I guess, but I usually greet her with an “I love you” when I walk up to her.

Keiffer

Member II
Not looking for a project

Randy,

I am sure you recall that I had sought your advice on the E29's a couple of times. The E29 in NY was listed on line and was shown to be in pristine condition. The owners had moved over 100 miles away and I felt that I would be in a good position to negotiate. I truly do not think they had been to the boat in two years. The cover had come loose and all of the grime and damage you see in the photos is what I found. I had almost made a trip just to see that boat! boy would I have been a little upset. It was actually in overall sound condition and would have been a great project for someone. Not a project I was willing to haul from NY to Atlanta, and I was not looking for a project anyway.

When we arrived at the Emerald Lady walking down the dock we knew this was the boat we wanted. We also new it was above what we were looking to spend on a boat. Imagine our surprise when the owner opened her up to find 6" of water above the cabin sole!

What I know now is the shore power had tripped, the bilge pump ran the batteries dead, and the boat began to fill with water from a cockpit hatch. There are cockpit drains, but the seacock was closed because there was a leak in one of the drain lines (below the water line) that had never been fixed. Upon attempting to use the whale gusher to manually pump the boat out we discovered the diaphram was torn and would not pump! At this point in the comedy of errors we excused ourselves and headed for home. Once again I suspect the owner had not been to the boat in months if not a year.

On the way to the parking lot my wife suggested maybe we should re-consider and make him an offer. This boat that we could not afford might just be affordable if purchased while slowly sinking and being bailed out with a cut off bleach bottle by someone who REALLY no longer wanted to own this boat.

I made a call to Glyn Judson in CA to find out what damge may have occured with this much water in the boat. He told me to check two things, has the water reached the stater, and is the water below the dip stick? Other than those two items it was simply teak under water. As a side note Glyn has been an absolute amazing resource for anything I have ever asked, and is one of the few people I know that answers his cell phone everytime and anytime I call, Thank you Glyn!

As it turns out the boat that we could not afford became quite affordable. My wife wrote the check, I created a makeshift bill of sale, and then took over bailing with the bleach bottle.
So much for not wanting a project, but I will say we love the Emerald Lady, and cant' leave the dock without looking back at her.
And, we continue to enjoy every minute of OUR PROJECT.

Last edited: