• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Trotter Box

Joe

Member II
Can anyone supply a reference to this meaning of "trotter box" and the origin of its usage?

Last edited:

Joe

Member II
Thanks Loren. I see usages such as "...with a bunk port and starboard, your feet go into a trotter box under the cockpit seat..." or numerous mentions in this discussion. But I can't find any kind of formal or informal definition. So it goes.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ah so. I read over (most of) that thread. Sounds to me like (maybe) they are talking about extending the effective "sleeping length" of a settee by providing a place for feet to extend into when you are sleeping.
If I understand correctly, this would be similar to the "foot wells" that my Olson has for each settee. Our port settee has an aft foot well under the top of the nav. desk, and the starboard side has one that is under a shallow cabinet forward.

Maybe?
:confused:

Perhaps a "trotter box" is any sort of container, bag, or even an open-ended compartment. I wonder if the person using that term would call the winch handle pockets in a cockpit coming "winch trotter boxes"?
:)

Last edited:

Joe

Member II
:)
The closest we can come to explaining the term is that 'trotters' can also refer to an animal's feet, especially pigs and sheep. So, a trotter box could simply mean something one puts one's feet into. Like Emily Litella, I suppose I should now say 'Nevermind'.