• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Mainsail track insert

Walter Pearson

Member III
Attached photo and drawing show more information on the plates I made. I'm sure there are advantages to using the other methods described by Seth and others, but I do like that in my case, the slides all fall below the gate when the sail is flaked. Maybe I like things low-down because I'm a short guy with tri-focals and dislike looking up any more than I have to.
I did install a topping lift that was attached at the top of the mast with a block on the end of the boom. Worked a lot better for reefing, but it did interfere some with the sail and I'd have to flip it around after tacking. Got tired of that and installed rigid vang - which required gooseneck changes - which led to reversing the hinges on the mid hatch - and so on.... I do have a more detailed CAD drawing that does not come across here, but can give access to Picasa album showing all this. Luff Slot Plates 04.jpgLuff Slot Plates Installed.jpg

Andrew Means

Member III
Thanks for posting those Walter - I've been going back and forth about getting a rigid vang as well. Looks like the Garthauer ones aren't super expensive, but like you say, I'd need to swap the hatch... Probably will have to wait till next year, but man, it's not fun to reef without some form of topping lift; and especially sailing short handed...