• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yachting Specialties Damaged Sprocket Again

jreddington

Member III
Had some teeth damaged on my Yacht Specialties steering sprocket a few years ago. Was able to get the teeth rebuilt but the shop who did it is now gone.

The teeth are damaged again. Looks like the repairs did not hold up.

There were some threads a long time ago that seemed to indicate that Edson sprockets could be machined to convert them. There are some references to drawings but I can't seem to find them.

My sprocket is bronze, 1" bore, 11 teeth, 2.8" long.

Anyone still have these drawings/instructions?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
There is a yacht speacielties helm for $700. and also a part with a chain gear for $19.99 buy it now price that might be your part for $29.99 with shipping. Part may be nothing like yours??? Good luck

Just search yacht speacielties on E-Bay.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Odd. Are you sure the sprocket and chain are compatible? There should not be enough force between a properly matched set to cause this type of problem.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Odd. Are you sure the sprocket and chain are compatible? There should not be enough force between a properly matched set to cause this type of problem.

Makes me wonder if the chain was replaced when the sprocket was repaired. The chain may have stretched over time and would chew up a new/repaired gear pretty quickly. Motorcycle maintenance 101 ;)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Makes me wonder if the chain was replaced when the sprocket was repaired. The chain may have stretched over time and would chew up a new/repaired gear pretty quickly. Motorcycle maintenance 101 ;)

Good point Steve. I always replace my chain, crank sprocket and gearset together on my mountainbike.

But a steering pedestal does not see the same stresses as a motorcycle or a bicycle.

Walter Pearson

Member III
A sketch from my files shows a modification of the Edson sprocket so that it performs in the YS steerer. I scanned it and will attempt to attach.

My sprocket was deformed due to lack of quadrant stops. I was able to 'reshape' it and did not have to modify the Edson part.

Walter Pearson

Attachments

• Sprocket Modify.jpg
    Sprocket Modify.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 147

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Y/S Sprocket Assembly

Jim,

I sent you a PM via this site about a possible Y/S sprocket assembly for you. Let me know if you didn't get it.