• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor Windlass for E35-2

unequaltee

Member II
Has anyone had any experience of the South Pacific vertical Anchor windlass? I am about to run the cables to the peak of my E35-2 and like the idea that these units with their spur gears are not so power hungry as the conventional worm driven type. so I could save a bit on cable size. or, what windlass would other owners recomend? Thanks for any thoughts. Ian

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No direct experience, but friends of mine that have installed one first weighed their anchor and chain, allowing for all-chain deep water anchoring. They have up to 200' of chain for rocky anchorages in Puget Sound and BC waters.
I notice that they often use a Bruce or CQR at about 33#, on boats the size of yours.
That's a lot to retrieve when anchored out at 4 to 1, in 50' of water...
:rolleyes:

Let us know what you decide, and please post up pictures of the install project if you can.

Loren

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
In my windlass research I came across references to Australia having its own chain standards? Apparently there are US, Euro and Australian standards? Make sure whatever you buy has the correct gypsy for the chain you can source locally. A little detail that can ruin your day. RT

unequaltee

Member II
Thanks , I had not given the chain calibration a thought. After a bit of research, the South pacific sold in the uk uses DIN 766 chain which is readily available, the working load of 160 lb and a claimed 1000 lb max pull should I hope cope with my anchoring needs while only drawing 25 amps.
Ian