• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Exhaust Elbow Needed!

sailingdeacon

Member III
Found this exhaust elbow at:

http://onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_113_127&products_id=425

They don't list any size specs, however. If you Google "Onan" you'll find a bunch of sites. Prices vary widely. You might try to find a Cummins dealer/service center in your area that can help.

It's funny that the number stamped on the part in the photo is different from the number they list in the description; and both are different from the number on your part...

I'm replacing my exhaust riser and needed the white 90 degree Onan riser with a 1 3/4 exhaust as pictured in the original post earlier With great difficulty I also found that you cannot find it using the part number on the riser itself. Instead, it is part #155-1058 "CAST IRON" WATER COOLED 90 DEGREE ELBOW FOR GENERATORS 1-1/4" FMPT EXHAUST INLET, 1-3/4" HOSE OUTLET, 3/8" WATER INLET. Also see this web site which sells it: http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page555.html

sailingdeacon

Member III
For those of you who have the Onan and have inspected the interior, you will see two "bumps" near the interior water outlet. I thought for sure they were carbon buildup but no, they come that way. (One of my "bumps" was gone) However because they are rather large, it is very hard to see or feel the interior water outlet from the exhaust side. Easy to see from the input side if you can remove the pipe connection.

Brian K

Member III
It depends on which engine you have. My 1988 E32-200 has the Universal M25XP with 1 5/8" exhaust hose and 5/8" water injection, 1 1/2" NPT flange (301620 T on casting) The exhaust riser was Onon 155-1059 (170-2834 on casting) while the one referenced most recently in this thread is Onan 155-1058. There is a difference in sizes and a big difference price between these 2 Onan products.

I ended up buying a fabricated steel pipe with a "Y" towards the top that the water injection hose attaches to. The part came from www.marineenginedirect.com (phone 800-688-6208) at a cost of $65. The part number of the item is 299693. It's actually a 1 1/4" NPT pipe, not 1 1/2" as they claimed. I ended up repacing the 1 1/2" flange on the engine with a new 1 1/4" flange since the end output of the original and the new stuff was 1 1/4" anyway. The picture shows the completed unit before I put on the new heat wrap.

Stu, I did end up using Lime Away on the HE and it worked really well. Hopefully I can get this stuff all back together on the boat this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1865.jpg
    IMG_1865.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 284

sailingdeacon

Member III
Brian, I really do like the steel pipe concept and especially the price. I now have the very pricy Onan - not yet installed - but your approach looks good. However seems to me I have read not to mix steel and cast iron together in a marine environment. Can anyone clear that up?

Brian K

Member III
I agree that you should avoid mixing metals, in any environment. However your cast metal Onan mixer, the same as what I had on my boat, connects directly to black iron piping that screws into a cast exhaust flange. I believe that was the original equipment installed by Ericson. If anything I improved my situation since the new mixer is essentially black iron piping.

Since I'm on fresh water I hope I never have to replace this piece again. But whenever you tackle something like this you sure learn quite a bit.

sailingdeacon

Member III
Brian, I hesitate to beat this to death but I think it might be helpful to others. I contacted marinedieseldirect (from where you purchased) and after lots of discussion they could only pull up the part number on their end... they could not point me to it on the web and said there was no photo and little description. Most important they said it was cast iron, not steel. More important they are unable to sell to me in NC due to their being a distributor.

SO I contacted torrenson marine and gave them the part number. To their amazement, they see a photo of it in their inventory, but were unfamiliar with the part number even though it shows up on their web site as a Universal part!! See http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/?p=numberresults&pn=299693&storetype=mdd&x=8&y=10 They were very interested... and are contacting the proper people to find out the exact dimensions of each port. Note that their photo shows something odd on the end and even a bit tapered.

They are to get back to me and I will report

So the plot thickens. This may be a less expensive alternative for some of us if the dimensions work.

Brian K

Member III
Interesting. Actually it's amazing that you found this as a Universal part. The only thing that differs from the piece I have is I don't have any threads at the bottom where the exhaust hose slips over the pipe. Other than that, it's exactly the same.

As far as the metal goes, I am certainly not an expert on metals but this is not what I would call cast. The original Onan part is what I would call cast. But the bottom line is that this works and lasts at least 10 years. Good luck with your project.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The taper is probably just distortion in the photograph due to the camera lens and the angle at which the pipe was photographed...

sailingdeacon

Member III
Interesting. Actually it's amazing that you found this as a Universal part. The only thing that differs from the piece I have is I don't have any threads at the bottom where the exhaust hose slips over the pipe. Other than that, it's exactly the same.

As far as the metal goes, I am certainly not an expert on metals but this is not what I would call cast. The original Onan part is what I would call cast. But the bottom line is that this works and lasts at least 10 years. Good luck with your project.

Brian and everyone with even a passing interest... based on conversation with a very reputable yacht repair service in NC and many other sailboat owners, it seems the life of a given riser varies tremendously. Some are lasting 20 years plus, some 3-4 years depending on many variables not the least of which is how often the boat is used. Making matters worse is that usually one can not see any developing problem since the damage/fillingup is from the inside out usually. I was in mid Chesapeake a few years ago and found engine black stuff all over the interior areas, resulting from a blown out section of pipe. Amazingly my buddy's boat on the same trip had a similar problem within a week. Two different boats , different risers, different years of use. So I now carry some epoxy and fiberglass tape. Alternatively a filled up riser can cause slowly rising temps and back pressure with power reduction. But those two symptoms were not present in my and my buddy's boat problem. So you can see my caution.

I suspect you are absolutely right in that the pipe is stainless. And Torrenson was uncertain about what exactly is at the bottom of the pipe after I described your photo, but since you have one you are the expert.

Hope to get the official specifics soon from Torrenson and will post here.

Regards,
Doug K Phelps

sailingdeacon

Member III
Brian and everyone with even a passing interest... based on conversation with a very reputable yacht repair service in NC and many other sailboat owners, it seems the life of a given riser varies tremendously. Some are lasting 20 years plus, some 3-4 years depending on many variables not the least of which is how often the boat is used. Making matters worse is that usually one can not see any developing problem since the damage/fillingup is from the inside out usually. I was in mid Chesapeake a few years ago and found engine black stuff all over the interior areas, resulting from a blown out section of pipe. Amazingly my buddy's boat on the same trip had a similar problem within a week. Two different boats , different risers, different years of use. So I now carry some epoxy and fiberglass tape. Alternatively a filled up riser can cause slowly rising temps and back pressure with power reduction. But those two symptoms were not present in my and my buddy's boat problem. So you can see my caution.

I suspect you are absolutely right in that the pipe is stainless. And Torrenson was uncertain about what exactly is at the bottom of the pipe after I described your photo, but since you have one you are the expert.

Hope to get the official specifics soon from Torrenson and will post here.

Regards,
Doug K Phelps

Here is the official response fro Torrensen for the specs on the straight y exhaust pipe shown at their web site

Iron; overall length 6"; 1-1/4 NPT; Smooth end 1 5/8"; Cooling water pipe 5/8" Apparently the image is misleading.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 102