• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Oil change - there has to be a better way!

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

Had another very frustrating oil change yesterday. My engine is a Universal M35A. I've been changing the oil using one of those manual (pump) oil extractors. They have these long stiff straws which go down the dipstick hole to remove the oil. These "straws" are very long and come in two parts joined together with a rubber coupling. On a previous oil change, the coupling came apart and flicked oil all over my curtains among other things! I find it REALLY MESSY and although my engine holds around 4 litres of oil, I'm barely able to get 3 litres using this method. There is a drain plug on the front of the oil pan with a flexible hose on it, but because of the slope of the engine, I can not extract all of the oil as a lot of the oil sits at the back. Consequently after an oil change the oil is still black as peat.

If anyone has a better method, I'd love to hear it...

Many thanks,
steve Gabbott
Silent Dancer
E35/3

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
The fitting that Loren suggested will be a big help. Another thing is to change the oil when the engine is warm to aid in thinning the oil for more complete removal.

Best,
Frank

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
My M18 engine has the sump hose installed. I use the tall plastic extractor pump and run the plastic tube all the way down the hose. Seems to work well. The plastic ferrule that connects the two tubes from the pump is rather stiff; you have to make sure you jam the hoses in at least a half inch on each side to make sure they don't come out. A little spit on the tube ends makes it easier.

I have noticed that the new oil turns black after about two or three hours of run time, but I think that is just a characteristic of diesel engines?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Steve - Just a thought... How about using the hose connected to the front of the oil pan by running a piece of tubing inside of it back to the lower end where the oil pools?

I have no idea what the configuration is so I don't know if this is practical. If it is possible, you might try copper tubing so it goes where you want it to go. I use copper tubing to get to the bottom of my transmission.

Another thought... if you aren't getting all of the oil out of the oil pan you could add new oil which would dilute the remaining oil, and then pump out this mixture.

Enough thinking. I'm getting a head ache. :)

newgringo

Member III
Vacuum Bottle Oil Extractor

Our E32-3 with a M25 has a hose connected to the drain pan fitting. I rigged up a 2 gallon bottle to easily fit the drain hose. Before I head for the boat for an oil change I evacuate the bottle to 25 to 30 in-hg. Then at the boat I hook it up, open the valve and wait for the drain to start passing air. Usually never spill even a drop. I use the same setup to suck out the transmisssion oil. Been using this setup for 4 years. Enclosed is a pic of the bottle. It was well worth the effort to rig up this setup.
OBTW - I use a shop type Vacuum Pump to draw down the bottle to 25-30 inhg vacuum. And, I have made peace with the fact I can not get all the oil out due to the slope of the oil pan and the drain hose location. The bottle is an old Freon R-12 container about 2 gallon capacity. The guage and hose fitting are glued on with JB Weld epoxy.

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

gabosifat

Member III
Thanks Jerry,
Looks like a good setup. Is that an old propane bottle? And how do you draw down the negative pressure on the tank? I'm guessing you draw it negative then open up the valve when connected? My problem is still that the hose attached to the oilpan is on the front of the engine and there's quite a bit of slope to the engine, hence the oil left at the back.

Cheers and thanks,
Steve

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
There is only a bout a cup or so left in the bottom of the pan there is more in the oil passages and clinging to the walls. It realy is not a big problem and color IS NOT an indication of oil condition in a diesel engine! It will be black within a couple hours in a new engine. This was descused in a recient thread so I will not beat that horse again. :egrin: Edd