• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30+ repairs

DavidWms

Member II
Hi, I've gotten some good advice here earlier on E30+ as a fast boat. The one I'm considering has some water damage to the nav station and around the port. I'm uploading a couple of pictures taken by surveyor on a walkaround inspection. I know you can't be specific based on a picture but has anyone else encountered this and can generally describe what the extent of repairs would likely be? I'm good at maintaining things but not too handy at repairs so I would like to find out if this will cost major $$ before going farther.

Attachments

• lang nav desk.JPG
    lang nav desk.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 417
  • lang port.JPG
    lang port.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 408

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hard to see too much in the attached images as they are small, i.e. not many pixels.
However, an ignored leak around a port can lead to discoloration of the teak veneer at the least and some decay of the veneer layer(s) if ignored too long. The nav desk top is teak veneer ply with solid teak edges, and may re-finish.

When we bought our '88, it had several years of water stains below 3 out of 4 of the large fixed ports. We cleaned it with water, and then used Te-Ka cleaner on it. After a cautious sanding with some 180 and 220, we put several coats of varnish on and it looks great.(Of course you knew I'd say that.)

Sometimes these projects just boil down to labor -- yours or someone el$e.
:)

If you look at Tim's excellent link to his re-veneer job on his 35, you can see just how nice it can become... better than new, as it were.

While not the leading question for this thread, I notice that the biggest problem with most boats (all makes) with framed windows is getting a good rebuild and then getting a good seal to the cabin side around the frame. There are some nice threads around this site on this separate topic.

Regards,
Loren

ps: Tim, can you re-post your E-35-3 interior rebuild link?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
From your photo site, using largest image, I did a screen grab with the "Grab" application. Then resized and saved as JPG image in "Colorit!" application.
And, as they exclaim in France, "Viola!" or something like that...
:)
Looks like some new veneer or formica(c) for that nav desk top. Donno 'bout the cabin side.
:confused:
LB

Attachments

• E-30+ cabinside waterstain.jpg
    E-30+ cabinside waterstain.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 82
  • E-30+ desk water problem.jpg
    E-30+ desk water problem.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
David,

As an owner of a 1984 E30+ (yes, they are nice, fast boats!), the pics in your post look to me like a boat that has been neglected quite a bit. Ours is in very good shape, yet I am still constantly fixing/maintaining something. So when you say you are not good at repairing, I am questioning whether this "fixer upper" is the right boat for you. Just something to think about...

Frank

DavidWms

Member II
David,

As an owner of a 1984 E30+ (yes, they are nice, fast boats!), the pics in your post look to me like a boat that has been neglected quite a bit. Ours is in very good shape, yet I am still constantly fixing/maintaining something. So when you say you are not good at repairing, I am questioning whether this "fixer upper" is the right boat for you. Just something to think about...

Frank

That is exactly what I'm thinking about! The CO says he bought it from an master BMW mechanic in 2004 who put a new Universal 20HP and restored boat to top condition, which I've confirmed through wonders of Internet by finding PO's old ad. CO has used it but has not kept it in top condition. As you can see, he installed some type of pre-finished home flooring in cabin. I have not personally inspected boat yet but had surveyor do a preliminary survey. He found no major structural problems but number of items that needed attention. Some of them are cosmetic, such as striping, mast needs to be repainted, etc. In addition to water damage pictured, there is delamination of teak in head due to shower. Price on the boat looks generally good and there is part of me that would like to tackle more repairs, but my free time is limited. If I factor in my time and that my limited repair skills, the bargain may be illusory. Yet, everything I've read about E30+ is so positive and I don't see many offered for sale.

There's a E27 that also clean but I think E30+ is better boat, especially for lake sailing with light air in summer.

Frank Langer

David,

We love our E30+ and they are great boats, so it's worth finding one if the size and style suits you. They sail really well in a wide range of wind, are easy to single hand, but can also accommodate at least two couples aboard for a week or more. And they do come on the market from time to time.

This one looks quite neglected to me--not only the delaminating veneer, but also the corrosion on the seacocks, the lack of varnish or oil on the other interior teak, etc. I think you would find lots of parts needing repair/replacing if you bought this boat.

I am somewhat handy, but I still find maintaining our boat a challenge, and it's in very good shape compared to your pictures. If it were me, I would keep looking and find one whose owner gave her the care these boats deserve. Just my opinion....

Frank

Slick470

Member III
If you aren't handy...

I agree with others who have already posted. That boat looks like a project waiting for a buyer who wants a project. I would be wary of an owner who thought it was a good idea to use a home grade flooring to replace the teak and holly. Who knows what else this guy did that isn't up to a marine or even a common sense standard.

Keep in mind that any boat of this vintage will be somewhat of a project. So you should try to minimize that as much as you can while you shop. If you can see this many issues on the surface, I'm scared to know what lies underneath.

There are lots of good older boats that have been well maintained in this world. A little patience and the right 30+ or other gem will come along.

Andy

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Chiming in with the others. That boat looks like it needs a lot of work. The portlights for sure need to be removed, refurbished (or replaced) and reinstalled with new sealant.

If that boat was in "top condition" in 2004 it's hard to imagine it looking like it does now, unless the owner did absolutely nothing to it for six years. Some people are like that...

I'm not saying restoration can't or shouldn't be done, worse examples have been saved, all it takes is time and money.

Interesting that the 30+ is getting lots of action on the Forum these days! :)

Last edited:

DavidWms

Member II
Trade off: good price v. good condition

Well, looks like you all agree on that! I'm getting back into sailing after a few years out and trying to do so economically. And I understand an inexpensive boat is no bargain if your time and additional investment will cost more than purchase price well maintained one. Since I've never had a project boat, I am at sea (pardon the pun) over how to assess how much I can do and what it will cost. My thought has been that I can handle what I call a "project lite" boat i.e., requiring elbow grease, cosmetic updating but no structural renovations. This one may be more than that, I fear and you seem to agree.

I mentioned the E27 as well. Would you mind commenting on this this E27?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eric...em3a5e839233QQitemZ250693784115QQptZSailboats

One good thing about the E27 is that it was out of the water for 13 years before current owner bought it in 98, so it is relatively newer than most boats of its age. But as I've learned from another thread from some of you, the 30+ is a much faster, better light air boat, apart from being roomier and newer design.

dt222

Member III
E27

David,
I can't comment on a compare of the E30 to E27, but from the pictures, this E27 looks to be in pretty good shape. I have a '75 E27 (A4, Tiller) and I really enjoy it for my particular situation.

Don

DavidWms

Member II
Now this is a Project boat with Capital P

As an aside, in my searching for information on sailboat restoration, I came across this website with one guy's impressive extensive project restoration of a 1974 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus. http://www.lizardheadone.com/ Definitely worth a look. And to my surprise, he lives less than 7 miles from me! We've chatted by email and I plan to go see his boat soon. Maybe some of his skills will rub off on me. But I hope I can launch my boat sooner than 5 years after purchase. :egrin:

DavidWms

Member II
E27

David,
I can't comment on a compare of the E30 to E27, but from the pictures, this E27 looks to be in pretty good shape. I have a '75 E27 (A4, Tiller) and I really enjoy it for my particular situation.

Don

From what I've read, the E27 is an excellent boat for coastal cruising. One attraction this boat would have is if I purchased trailer also so I could transport it to Gulf Coast as well.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The 27 in Canyon Lake, TX looks nice. The auction indicates that it ended on Sept. 14. I guess he had no takers and the boat is still available? I'm pretty sure you can get it for less than the $12,500. There is no compass on the binnacle; I would ask about that. Maybe he just took it off so no one would steal it...

renewable10

Newly Owners of an Ericson 30+

Hello,

without much due diligence, we purchased an Ericson 30+ from an internet auction and received the boat yesterday into a local Marina (Quincy, MA). The boat needs a lot of work, a lot! But we're prepared to take on the task and are willing to spend: 1. a lot of time; 2. not so much money.

So, as part of us preparing for the work on the boat, we joined the forum here. Any help is appreciated without being able to address any specific questions about issues or concerns.

Here is a link to an image gallery: https://picasaweb.google.com/108029...uthuser=0&feat=directlink#5970435769889889554

We further believe we purchased an ERICSON 30+ because of the IND number found on the hull: ERY30546M81A. The boat has not seen much maintanance and shows its original interior.

We have a few concerns on how to approach the overhaul over of the boat from a priority perspective:

1. The hull, rudder (besides the usual damage) and keel are not showing substantial damage or wear. Hence, we are thinking to launch the boat from a current land dock to the water soon. Only the drive shaft will receive some maintenance.

2. The interior appears that it has seen some water for while. So, we are thinking of either taking every piece of wood affected out and replacing it, replacing the floor, and having whatever is intact sanded and painted.

3. The ceiling has a vinyl liner. Probably the original version but showing some stains from perhaps water. Should we leave the ceiling untouched and just do some deep cleaning.
Any help and advice is very much appreciated. We are new two sailing.

Best,

Gesine & Joerg

Frank Langer

Hi Gesine and Joerg,

Congratulations on taking the step to becoming boat owners! Ericsons are lovely boats and this forum is an excellent resource with alot of knowledgeable and helpful owners. The E30+ is a great boat, but you have certainly taken on a project in acquiring this one!

If you are totally new to the boating world, and don't know boats, it may be a good idea to have someone who knows boats take a good detailed look at it before you decide on how to proceed. This may help you to determine your priorities for repair correctly, and the order, so you don't do some work and then have to undo it to get at something behind/below there. Also to ensure that before you launch her (as you suggested in your post) that she is seaworthy enough to withstand that. Having a diesel mechanic look at the engine may help to determine whether it will start and maybe he can tell you if it is salvageable or needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Also, whether the fluids (oil, coolant, tranny fluid) need to be changed before you try to start it (likely a good idea), or if this is a waste of time and money if it likely won't start anyway.

Regarding your question about the wood bulkheads, others have replaced these successfully and there is good information and pictures of this work on the site. Ensure you familiarize yourselves with the correct way to epoxy, do some practice first, etc.

Regarding the naugahide headliner, it's hard to tell from the pics if it can be salvaged through cleaning. I once used a restoration company to repair a problem in ours, and they were able to do so leaving the repair totally invisible, so you might want to consult someone like that first. If not, some people have replaced the headliner with wood or similar material which looked awesome (again you can find the posts if you search for them).

I hope that you can both enjoy the process of the restoration and not get discouraged--others have done it, so don't give up, but do develop a good plan and do the work well to increase the likelihood of a good outcome.

Keep asking questions and someone here will likely be able to help.

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I suggest that before launching the boat, you have a boatyard or other expert examine the underwater parts: through-hull fittings, prop, shaft, rudder, packing gland, stuffing box and so on. I say that simply because some repairs or maintenance have to be done out of the water, and once you put the boat in, it's expensive to take it back out.

For a general view of a year's worth of typical Ericson updates, you could page (backwards) through my Thelonious blog, located here.

Welcome!

Christian

Last edited: