• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder Bushing, Vesconite Source

Sven

Seglare
I have trouble understanding how Foss Rudder company would build such a sloppy tolerance without warning it's customer of what to expect?

I had gotten warnings about Foss, both quality and design issues, that's why I punted.

I first contacted one local company based on an avid sailor/racer but they just couldn't get their act together.

Then I asked the Marina Shipyard yard manager and he suggested his boss of 16 years; Dan Choate, in Los Alamitos, California. Turns out that Dan is also the person Seth had recommended a few years back and we'd also gotten his name elsewhere. Dan's guys did the work in place and last time I checked it looked GREAT !

Sorry about your Foss problems but maybe someone else will be saved by your post and go elsewhere.

-Sven

robjpowell

Member II
David,
The additional time for turning the material was 3 days over the time to simply ship. I used Vesconite's on-line bushing calculator and had it made as per it's recommendations. While I haven't put it in the boat yet I have high hopes.

The only difficulty I had in removing old parts was in getting the old PVC liner out of the fiberglassed tube. On our boat there were 2 set screws approx. 2-3cm from the top of the tube. I was unaware they were there until I had chipped/snapped out the PVC (they are that well glasssed over). Of course I have no idea how construction practices changed with time. I did note that the PVC was 2/3 worn away where the bronze/brass bushing had rubbed it. Obviously not everything is square/true. I hope that by shimming the cockpit bushing/tiller-head unit I can compensate.

Rob