• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for a Barlow 16 Wench

Bill Upchurch

Member II
A couple of weeks ago while my grandson was raising the main the Winch came apart and a good portion of it went into the Pacific. I'm trying to keep my boat as original as I can so I want to replace it with the Barlow 16. I know about Dan in Wilmington and Minny's in Newport, but I'm hopefull that one of you folks have one in your garage that you want to get rid of.

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Bill,

Is this the 35-2 "Golden Girl" at Aquarius boat yard in Santa Cruz? If so, wow what a beautiful boat.

newpbs

Member III
Really?

wench/wenCH/

Verb: (of a man) Consort with prostitutes.
Noun: A girl or young woman.

Looking for a Barlow 16 Wench

Maybe you mean winch.

I couldn't help myself.

Paul
<hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 251); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 251);" size="1">

Bill Upchurch

Member II
I swear I didn't lay a hand on that wench--she was not even on the boat. Now the broken winch is another story.

(thanks for the correction--my face is red)

rgscpat

Keeping those winches lubed

Yeah, "16" seemed waaaayy too young for anyone who wants to stay out of big trouble!

But I swear a late friend of ours was once in the bar in the restaurant overlooking the marina, taking a break from working on his 34' Hunter. On the way out he told everyone he was going down to lube some winches. And he didn't know that there was another interpretation possible.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Winches at Minney's

I was at Minney's today over lunch and thought I would take pictures of what they had. there are 2 of the $85 winches and one of the $135 winch. Not sure why the cost difference. They seem to be fairly smooth, but I am by no means an expert. Just thought I would share. I was also at Dan's a week ago prior to your post and while he does have some winches I did not look at them.

Oops...just realized these are Barient 16s and not Barlow. I usually go to Minney's once a week, so I can look for Barlows next time.

Attachments

• IMG00063.jpg
    IMG00063.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG00065.jpg
    IMG00065.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Thanks Todd and Jeff. I appreciate your efforts and information.

This morning I sent an email to The Australian Winch Co. who acquired much of the Barlow/Barient tooling and parts to see if I could luck into replacing the parts that went overboard.

Bill Upchurch

Member II
I received a response from Bruno at the Australian Yacht Winch Co. who said that they "can not support the Barlow winch model #16 as it can come apart and cause injuries to the operators". He suggested that I look at their HUTTON-ARCO #8 winch at http://www.huttonwinches.com/products/winch/prices .

It is similar in appearance and the cost for the chrome unit is $230.00 which includes shipping.
I'm thinking about it.

Last edited:

Gmilburn

Member III
Barlow 16

Hi Bill,

I have several Chrome 16s that I bought on E Bay from the Hurricane Katrina disaster in New Orleans when boats were being salvaged. Please email me privately and we can work out a deal.

PDX

Member III
If you're interested in non-chromed bronze, I have two Barlow 16 spinnaker sheet winches, original from a 1968 Ericson 30. I would describe their condition as functional but dry.