Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '87 E34 rub rail replacement

Sustaining Partner

'87 E34 rub rail replacement

Anyone know the best replacement for my 87 E34? See photo. I doubt anybody makes the exact rail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

rube rail replacement

try here

http://tacomarine.com/cat--Rigid-Rub..._rr_solid.html

This was posted before, I don't have any connection with them.

ml
    "The greatest tragedy in life is people who have sight but no vision." Helen Keller

Principal Partner Keith Parcells's Avatar
    Keith Parcells
    1983 E-33
    Hull #24
    Rocinante

Oddly enough, I have heard good things about http://rubrails.com/

Sustaining Partner

will try cleaning

Thanks for all the tips! Since the price to replace the rails seem a bit high I think i will simply try a cleaner for aluminum. While the rails (solid aluminum, no insert) probably do need replacing, they aren't destroyed yet . I will try first a low cost product Duraglass for Aluminum available at auto supplies, then perhaps one of those pricey West Marine products.. 3M at$26. Anyone have experience with cleaners.

Principal Partner Keith Parcells's Avatar
    Yeah, the pic of your rub rail actually looks pretty good. I would just clean it uo too. Mine has some pitting and will need replacement......but it is not at the top of the list.
    Keith Parcells
    1983 E-33
    Hull #24
    Rocinante

Sustaining Partner
    Thanks Keith, but the photo was one I just happen to have which showe a good part of the rail. In other places, not so good. scraches, dents, pitts in some places. So cleaning will help I hope. I meant the photo to show the type of rail... apparently not available anywhere now. For example the screw holes are around 9" apart, unusual I think . (It would be nice to not to have to make new holes.

E 29

This is a new response to an older post. The rubrail issue is addressed in other areas but if you are like me and new to EO then the more info the better. I just replaced my 1976 E29 with one from Wefco after lots of researching and e baying. It is great,perfect and cheap

Sustaining Partner
    I know I am beating this to death, but I had to post this image here because apparently there is NO replacement for this particular rub rail (Ericsons of the 1987 time frame - at least the E34. . All the appreciated help directed my way leads to either vinyl, vinyl inserts or aluminum that is different. If I have to pay the rather high cost of a new aluminum or an insert,it would be really preferred to use the same 9" apart screw holes. But I dont think it exists. So apparently there is no OEM rubrail for these models.

I tried cleaning with an aluminum cleaner with only marginal success. Lots of really pitted and scarred places. So if I ever replace a vinyl insert would be lots better than dented and scarred aluminum. I dont understand why Ericson used solid aluminum in the first place... considering it was 1987.

Sustaining Partner

Taco

Sailingdeacon,

If you look back, there were LOTS of posts on that subject.

My rail was ripped off by a collision with a HUNTER42 (unfair!), and I replaced what was left with a TACO Aluminum rail. Two sections each side with new holes. Looks better than before and not a big deal. The old ones looked horrible in comparison. Cleaning the hull-deck joint, patching with 5200 here and there, drilling and then caulking the new screws was not a big deal...and I did not have a choice. BTW, I used the opportunity to repaint the cove stripe, too. I love boating!
    Chris Winter
    E34 Dangriga 1988 #267

Is the rub rail through bolted?

Blog Entries
    If you look at the picture in post #1, those are screwed in, thru the sealant that beds the deck and hull flange. Inside the boat there is a band of roving over that joint, effectively permanently joining the deck and hull. The screws may or may not pierce the roving. Maybe some other owners of 80's E boats can comment.

LB
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Sustaining Partner

Through bolting

I don't think you want to compromise the clean inside per Loren. I believe I have them screwed in with perhaps 1/2-3/4" in the joint, and then all caulked up. Works for me! I try to stay away from things that are harder than this can handle... A good fenderboard will go a long way, as will a fearful crew with strong hands.
    Chris Winter
    E34 Dangriga 1988 #267

Contributing Member II

Which Taco rub rail ?

Quote Originally Posted by cawinter View Post
    Sailingdeacon,

If you look back, there were LOTS of posts on that subject.

My rail was ripped off by a collision with a HUNTER42 (unfair!), and I replaced what was left with a TACO Aluminum rail. Two sections each side with new holes. Looks better than before and not a big deal. The old ones looked horrible in comparison. Cleaning the hull-deck joint, patching with 5200 here and there, drilling and then caulking the new screws was not a big deal...and I did not have a choice. BTW, I used the opportunity to repaint the cove stripe, too. I love boating!
    Sailingdeacon

Which rub rail from Taco did you use? I've checked around and can not find any thats close to mine, for the 38-200 1989.

FrankJ

Sustaining Partner
    Chris Winter
    E34 Dangriga 1988 #267