• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

PatTormey

Member I
Just bought a 79 E25+ and it has mild rust on the SailDrive retainer ring that seals the rubber bladder. Bladder seems in good shape.. Boat has been out of the water of 4 years and it's going back next week :))).

It seems that the rubber bladder is a splash guard (Above the water line?) and that the rust might be from rain water.

My question is are these bladders a potential leak?
And the other question mihgt be WHY make the retaining ring of ferrous metal??

Looks like the repair is to remove and reseat the SailDrive. Thoughts?
Thanks
Pat Tormey PTormey@4square.net Derry NH Sailing out of Portsmouth NH.

GMC

Member II
Hi Pat,
Congratulations on your 25+. I bought mine last October in Beverly, Mass. and have it down in New Bedford on a mooring. I am still learning the boat and there is alot of knowledge that should pop up and answer your question on this site. My understanding of the bladder is that loss of its integrity means you've essentially got a hole in the bottom of your boat. That is, that it is not a splash guard, but a water barrier. If we are talking about the same thing.
I go through P'mouth regularly up to W'boro. Would love to see your boat as it might give some hints of things on mine. Mine is 1980. Good luck.
Greg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Ericson neighborhood!
:egrin:

Is that similar to a Volvo S-50 model saildrive? If so, they were using a Honda 10 hp powerhead with a pull cord start. Late 70's - early 80's aux. for small boats.

Whatever the powerhead, I believe that if one delves into the Volvo on-line service manuals one will find that the diaphragm is supposed to be replaced every 7 years. Lots of owners let this go for a decade with no apparent bad outcome, though.

Certainly something to check on regularly. Note that if there were a flooding/sinking with the attendant insurance claim, the insurer might want to see proof of maintenance before they would pay. Those S-drive units have some distinct advantages over a shaft drive, but also some worrisome disadvantages, too.

When you describe it as a bladder, is this a secondary water containment system of some sort?

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

PatTormey

Member I
Volve Penta /100S

Actually It's a Vovlo 7.5 deisel with the 100s SailDrive.
Not what I'd call a bladder but looks to be a seal between the hull and the unit.
My question is, is the rubber just a splash guard or is it under any pressure? It seems to be well above the waterline.

Thanks
Pat