• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

74 35 2 bilge discharge thru hull

admirals barge

Member III
my bilge pump discharge was teed into the manual bilge pump line. i want to install a thru hull next to the manual bilge pump discharge. i don't know how thick the hull is in that area and have searched but haven't been able to find any mention of the thickness of the hull

thanks for all your help
greg

dalliance
74 35 2

robjpowell

Member II
35-2 Bilge pump discharge

Greg,
It's been a while since I replaced the manual bilge pump thru hull fitting but my recollection is that on the transom where mine ('76 35-2) is located the thickness was only about 0.25-0.35" thick.

As an alternative you might like to consider what we did. In the round of post purchase upgrades, 5 years ago, we opted for an alternative discharge location -a 1.5" T onto the sink drain. The 0.75" pump discharge line loops up to counter height wedged between the sink and cabinet frame (vented loop installed at the top of the loop). This has been successful to date with no backup into the sink. While it does mean a bit of extra piping in the locker I preferred not making another hole in the hull.

Rob

admirals barge

Member III
thanks for the info

rob
my sink tees into the starboard side forward scupper drain. i'm using a sea puppy pump with a 5/8 inch hose going into the bilge. the hose sits on the bottom of the bilge and has a strainer on the end of it. the pump is mounted inside the door behind the ladder on the port side. the bilge float switch is mounted to the hull just forward of the drive shaft coupling. the previous own just cut a hole in the 1 1/2 discharge line from the manual pump just before the thru hull stuck the 5/8 hose into it and held it there with duct tape. i like the idea that its above the water line and i feel that a goose neck in the hose will prevent water from getting back to the bilge thru the pump.

have a great day
greg