• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Advice Needed - possible purchase of an e-27

tahoe1074

I live in Lake Tahoe, and an opportunity arose to purchase a 50% share of an e-27 docked in Tahoe. We were told that it was a ’73, but since it has a t-helm, pedestal steering, stepped back traveler (in the cockpit), and an atomic gas inboard, I believe it has to be a post ’74 model. The boat and motor appear to be in good shape, but nothing has been updated or replaced, except the sails (which are still a bit older). The price for 50% is $5k firm. We currently have a 19’ West Wight Potter in the lake, but would like to get in to a bigger boat with an in-board. I would love to hear some opinions on whether this is a good price or any other general opinions!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks so much! <o:p></o:p>
Shannon<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

TRMN8R

Member II
The year is in the serial number which is on the manufacturers plate just inside the companionway, or at least that's where mine is located. Difficult to know if the price is fair unless you have a survey done which would probably be the thing that I would do, to really find out the condition of the boat and all it's systems. That would be a good place to start in determining just what will have to be done if you decide to move forward on it and what those costs are. I've seen these range from $5k to $12k condition and year considered, and I did lots of investigating on this before purchasing mine. Good luck!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Depending on how much you know about boats, you could do an inspection yourself (or have a knowledgeable friend help) before you pay money for a formal inspection. Don Casey's book "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" provides good guidance.

The E27 is a very different boat from a West Wight Potter 19 (my friend owns a Potter and I have sailed with him often). I would recommend that if you decide to proceed after an informal inspection, take it for a test sail first to ensure you like how it sails, then get a formal inspection if you have fallen in love with it, and finally negotiate a good price with appropriate discounts for the repairs identified by the inspection. Ensure you have done comparison shopping--Yachtworld.com is a good source of information on other boats for sale.

Good luck!

Frank

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Seems on the High Side

Shannon,

I don't have the depth and breadth of experience as many on this web site. I will only tell you that I paid $5,000 for full ownership in February for the same model, but 1976. I would say that the condition of mine is average as verified by the marine survey. I am in So. California, so prices may be better here. I like the recommendation to look at comps. There are 2 or 3 links on the "For Sale" Category on this site, but even those are asking price that no doubt have some negotiation room.

selous

Inactive Member
As has been mentioned it all depends on the condition and equipment on the boat,upgrades ...etc.
I paid $8 k for my E27 with a yanmar 2gm20f,sails in great shape and fairly recent standing rigging,a new bimini top and sail cover,auto pilot. Having said that I still have put tons of work into the boat to get it anywhere close to what I want. If I were to sell mine now with new cushions (sunbrella) new bottom paint,re modelled head,new head pump and holding tank,all deck hardware re bedded,new traveller,new genoa car blocks(the others fell apart) just to mention a few.
I would be asking the high end of the price range,about $13 k or more. I might not get that price but that is what I would be asking. Hope this helps.

agraziano23

Member II
5k for half a share is too much in my opinion. I have a 76 with wheel and exactly as you describe. Remember you will be getting 50% of the aggravation and expense too.

I agree with the previous post. It isn't the price. I've had a 1973 E-27 since 1976. Still have it, but it is for sale. I think that owning a sailboat is a subjective exercise and 50% is an aggravation waiting to happen. The guy who is selling 50% will always consider it his anyway. You'd just be an inconvenience.

Morgan Stinemetz