• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Gas tank/Fuel related question

agraziano23

Member II
My A4 engine died after motoring for about half our like it ran out of gas.
while troubleshooting the problem I removed the fuel line from the connection after the on/off valve expecting some gas to come out when opening the valve - Nothing! I suspected I had about 13Gal left in the tank (15 gallons total right?)
The engine started normally the next morning, after I added 1 gal of gas, that's all that fit before some of it cam out of the breather tube. I suspect that the cause of problem is not fuel level related, but I'm wondering why no fuel cam out when I pulled the line?

rgoff

Member III
On my E27, the fuel line valve is on the top of the tank. So, nothing would come out if I opened the valve w/o the line attached, since the fuel level is below the open valve.

Was your open valve below the top of the tank?

agraziano23

Member II
On my E27, the fuel line valve is on the top of the tank. So, nothing would come out if I opened the valve w/o the line attached, since the fuel level is below the open valve.

Was your open valve below the top of the tank?

the valve is under the sink about half way with the compartment door, goes through the bulkhead where a nipple is located then a rubber fuel line takes the fuel to the mechanical pump. I'm wondering if the delivery of fuel depends solely on the fuel pump.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
There should be an antisiphon valve at the top of the tank pichup tube that keeps gas from siphoning out of the tank if a line is open or the carburator float valve sticks. This valve would keep gas from pouring out of an open fuel line. If she quits after a galon or so is used again you may have a hole in the pickup tube in the tank that would let air in and keep the pump from pumping fuel when the lank is lower than that.

Also check filters as the lower the fuel the more effort that is required of the pump. If you have the mechanical pump there is a filter in the top of the sedement bowl.

Sounds like the engine quit and fail to restart or does it quit and then just run very poorly?

Emerald

I've had the check valve (not all configurations have them) at the top of the pickup located on the top of the tank freeze up on me starving fuel. Keep it on your short list of stuff to check. It was not immediately obvious as to what it was, as it looked more like a coupling attached to the shutoff petcock than a check valve.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Just to Clarify

My A4 engine died after motoring for about half our like it ran out of gas.

Hi,

Just want to confirm that the engine did not stop as though you turned the ignition off. This recently happened to me and not really knowing better, I assumed it was a fuel problem. My engine stopped abruptly as though I turned off the ignition. Turned out to be corroded wire in the ignition/starter button area. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I too thought I had a full tank, but after adding 1/2 gallon, it started right up. I then topped it off and it only took another 1.5 gallon, so my experience as compared to you is too sureal.