• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Main sheet bridle conversion

Rob Boeckh

Hi,

Our 1978 E34t's original traveler is located just aft of the companionway - great for sail handling, less than ideal for cruising with kids and dog.

Last weekend we noticed an aloha that had a similar setup to ours, where the owners had moved the sheet to the cabin top using a bridle system (two separate sheets, widely spaced, attached at fixed points, no traveler).

My first concern is the additional stresses on boom and cabin top. Our boom is beefy, with profiled extrusions that offer greater strength than a simple oval shape, so I am not too concerned there. The cabin top is my principal concern. Even with substantial backing plates, the cabin top wasn't designed for this.

I have gone ahead and installed the new system. I went with 5:1 tackle ratio (over the 4:1 original on the boom end) to give extra leverage. Given the unknown stresses on the cabin top, I plan to keep the original traveler in place for use when conditions get rough.

Has anyone done a similar conversion or have any advice on this?

I have heard of using posts running from below the attachment point inside the cabin for reinforcement, but it seems an ugly and unnecessary step.

Cheers,
Rob Boeckh
Victoria, BC
Charlie 1978 E34t :egrin: