• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

96 hours away!!

aquavit

Member II
I received the attached photo from my broker today. After 4 months of torturous waiting, my boat is in the water and waiting for me. I am going to keep a running update of the 600 odd nautical mile trip home. Any ideas from anyone here on how to blog the trip, with pictures, video clips and text?

Aquavit, also known as Glenn
IMG00011.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some folks build their own web site, and others use a free site like this:
http://www.sailblogs.com/

I betcha there are other alternatives out there as well.

And, worth repeating, you have a very good looking boat! :)

LB

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

Well, you can do it all live if you have an Iphone. I setup a blogspot account and have the app called blogpresslite. I can update my blog and upload photos and video thru the app, at the time I am taking the photo.

Check it out.
Blog site listed below my signature.

Be carefull and safe, may the wind fill your sails and bring you and your new boat home.

aquavit

Member II
We got our boat home safely! I intended to update our progress along the way but the pace was rather gruelling and I sometimes couldn't find time to check emails, never mind write a running report. The trip took nine days and the weather varied from incredibly nice to really rough but the boat took it all without complaining. We had a few small issues such as a slight fuel leak at the Racor filter mount and a fan belt that wore at an incredible rate, which may be an incorrect belt profile. We managed to get 6.8 knots out of the boat on several occasions but that must be the hull speed as further wind pressure made the boat heel further without any additional speed. The total trip was about 650 nautical miles so our average pace was pretty decent but did require a fair amount of motoring to achieve. We left Waukegan with 250 hours showing on the hour meter and arrived in Penetang with 330. I would also like to publicly thank all of the incredibly inviting people that we met in the U.S. who went out of their way to assist us when they heard what we were doing. It made the trip a lot easier for us. Thanks also to everyone on this site for their assistance and information prior to our trip.

Glenn, or Aquavit

aquavit

Member II
We had both a knot meter and gps. They were usually within +/- 0.2 knots of each other which I attributed to the slight delay of the gps due to the constant spped calculation being performed and the constant speed fluctuation of the boat. I feel confident in saying that she will do 6.8, with a clean bottom and lightly loaded.

Glenn

bayhoss

Member III
I have a 28 and was wondering what otheres got out of their boats. 6.8 is moving pretty darn good!
Best,
Frank

aquavit

Member II
I would say that everything is in the boats favour right now to maximize speed. There is no extra gear on the boat that accumulates after a year or two of ownership, the sails on the boat are as good as new, we had a 3 man crew who packed lightly, the bottom is spotless, it is a fin keel (but I'm not sure if that effects top speed) and we hit 6.8 twice during the trip on a broad reach in a fairly stiff wind. We actually got it up to 7 knots motor sailing on a beam reach, but that doesn't count.

Glenn