• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Keel Damage and Repair Opinions sought

markvone

Sustaining Member
I completed a pre-purchase survey of a 1981 Ericson 36 RH yesterday and all went as expected except for the following:

The keel is canted slightly to starboard, ~ 1 degree, very subtle but visible if you have a good eye. The lower aft corner of the foil appears to have a very slight twist to starboard. Inside: The forward face of the transverse TAFG stringer, just aft of the trailing edge of the keel has a short (~ 4" wide) open crack centered on the centerline, approx 1/4" high where the TAFG fwd vertical face meets the aft edge of the bilge/keel sump at a limber hole. The fwd keel bolt nut is compressed down into the glass for a portion of it's height. No sign of leakage or cracking through the lead/glass keel joint. The boat is a dealer owned trade-in and neither they nor the PO (since 1988) were aware of the issue. Issue was not noticed on many previous insurance surveys by PO. It's 100% certain the BIG HIT occurred in the first 8 years with the original owner (we're checking with him), so it's been 22 years or more since.

I have considerable leverage over the broker for all the obvious reasons and several more particular to this situation to negotiate an additional price reduction and then repair soon, later or not. Or I can walk (run?) away. Broker not likely to repair himself.

I'm interested in any and all opinions on the cost and difficulty of the repair.

Thanks! Mark

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Somebody's fibbing. If none of the previous surveyors noticed this they should be barred from the marine industry for life. Or the PO hit something big and does not want to fess up.

Either way I would run. If it is visually noticeable then it must be more than 1°.

Move on and find a proper hull and pay the appropriate price..

bayhoss

Member III
I would refrain from purchase. This was a big hit, and not to notice or to look for collaterial damage is difficult to believe. The transfer of that much shock to cause noticable damage may well have caused damage that is not so easy to see. Only my humble opinion.

Best,
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
:rolleyes: Plan B: if you are really interested in the boat and it's OK otherwise, get a repair bid from a reputable yard or repairman. Subtract that from the price and make your offer accordingly.

I know of a couple of really sharp boat wrights in my area that could fix something like that "better than new" but it might take them several weeks of skilled labor @ $75./hour.
I mean, what the hey, it's probably time to drop the keel for a re-bed anyway.
While not any fun initially, sometimes it's good to know that stuff like this is safe/seaworthy, because you are the one that made it seaworthy. :cool:

Oh yeah, and I concur with the other posters about any prior survey that "overlooked" this! Sheesh...
Must have been one of those guys we hear about that does his survey from the parking lot overlooking the moorage. :(

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Touchrain

Member III
Friend of mine with an E38-200 twisted his keel between a couple rocks in Canada and had to drop his keel and repair. This was 5-7 years ago and I believe it cost more than $10,000. Pricey item.