• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor Locker Drainage!

KanH

Member II
It seems that part of my problem with water intrusion via the anchor locker was due to a cracked bronze pipe fitting that is supposed to hold the drain tube that exits water from the anchor locker out through the bow. The crack, in fact severed the tube leaving not enough area to properly hold a new drain tube. I’ve attached a picture of the external rivet looking drain through hull that the cracked tube was attached to or part of. (The gouges in the gel coat came with the boat.)

Does anyone know what this part is called and how difficult and/or delicate of a procedure is involved in removing and replacing it?

Attachments

• bowdrain.jpg
    bowdrain.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,388

Akavishon

Member III
I had a similar problem on my boat. What I did was to take out the anchor locker liner, remove the old tube, and epoxy a stainless pipe fitting through the existing hole in the bow. I feel that's leak-proof now. I replaced the old tube with a slightly longer and more flexible hose that clamps to the stainless fitting. Pic attached.

Zoran

Attachments

• PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,315

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Zoran,
That looks Great!
Our '88 appears to have a short piece of copper tube glassed into the stem, with the clear drain hose clamped onto it. If it every looks iffy at all, I will follow your excellent lead.
:cool:
Best,
Loren

Glyn Judson

Anchor locker drain.

Loren, Zoran and all, My first impulse would be to do a combination of the two photos and ideas. I'd be tempted to buy a bronze barbed pipe fitting though, cut the barb off and epoxy that into the drain hole. The idea of the fitting being bronze over stainless or copper just feels better to me. Please keep us posted as to the approach you take to solving the dilemma. What think you all of the bronze barb idea? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I thought that there was a world-wide bronze shortage after the last E-31 was finished out...
:)

Glyn Judson

Bonze age?

Loren and all, Boy, the abuse I have to take from you all. See if I ever share any of my hoarded...I..I..I mean spare bronze hardware with you now. ; - ) And truthfully, I really do have a lot of spare hardware most if it fine old Wilcox Crittenden lights and other W/C gear. Glyn

Akavishon

Member III
truth is ...

... I too would have preferred bronze, but couldn't find a suitable fitting in the short time I had last summer. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough?

Alas, does it make any practical difference? The fitting is not in touch with any other metal, and is above the waterline (well, at least most of the time ;)).

Zoran

Glyn Judson

Bronze vs. Stainless steel above the waterline.

Zoran, I'm sure you chose the right metal for your installation especially given the time crunch you found yourself in. It's just that for me, there is only the bronze choice for such installations. I can remember back some years when with the owner of E31 hull #33 and his need to replace a through hull fitting above the water, a lower propane locker air vent. We went to all the local chandleries (Oxnard, CA) and could only find a stainless steel one in the entire search. We worked together to put it in but it's always stuck in my craw whenever I think back on that day. As I said above, I'm sure your choice of that fitting will serve you well for the life of your boat and then some. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

newgringo

Member III
Question for Zoran

Zoran,
How did you get access to hook up the anchor locker drain hose? Mine doesn't leak, yet but I keep wondering how I am going to do it when the time comes.

Akavishon

Member III
Zoran,
How did you get access to hook up the anchor locker drain hose? Mine doesn't leak, yet but I keep wondering how I am going to do it when the time comes.

Jerry, the bulkhead forward of the v-berth has an inspection cut-out on my boat. The cut-out is big enough, but with the liner inside the anchor well there is just enough space to see the drain hose, but not to reach inside and do anything with it.

I replaced the hose with a slightly longer flexible tube. I lowered the liner into the well, stopped a couple of inches above the lip, then reached through the inspection cut-out from the v-berth and attached the hose. I then generously caulked around the lip, lowered the liner fully, screwed it in place, and applied more caulk around the seam.

Btw - the epoxied stainless fitting is showing traces of crevice corrosion after one season only ... not a big deal and cleans up easily, but go with a bronze fitting if you can.

Zoran