• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Mast Repair Advice

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I also posted this over at plasticclassicforum.com.

I've been thinking about this on and off over the past year, and now is the time to really figure it out. The mast is in reasonably good shape except for the area around the spreaders. There are a bunch of excess holes, and the old spreaders have compressed the mast a bit (a dimple) on both sides. Also, the entire area around the spreaders is slightly compressed a little bit (1/32-1/16" maybe) over the space of about a foot or so. Looks like the spreaders were subject to some violent force at one time. Anyway, the whole area looks a bit weak.

Here is a shot of the area, with some notes on the different features.
MastSpreader.jpg

Here is the mast profile. The aft wall between the main compartment and the sail track is near the dimpled portion of the mast.
PA170025.jpg

So I have been thinking about putting two big reinforcing patches over each side of the entire affected area and then redrilling only the necessary holes. I have heard that it might be wise to make this in an elongated triangular fashion (tapered up and down the mast) so as not to create a hard point right above or below the patch.

Also, Emerald did a similar repair http://home.comcast.net/~ericson-yachts using a big exterior sleeve, but it sounded like he had some trouble on the installation, so I am not sure that is the easiest way to go.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Doug

Last edited:

Emerald

I would do the repair over again as I described despite the fun installing the collar. Based on the feedback from the rigger, a single piece collar like we did would provide good strength and be better than two pieces. It's just not a job you're going to pull off easily solo unless you have that 3rd or 4th retractable arm option that I think most mechanics at some time dream of having. :egrin: But that said, it's something a couple people can do working together if you're prepared with a good array of clamps etc. Feel free to contact me directly offline if you want to swap numbers and chat some about this.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
After getting estimates for a new mast back at around 6k, I think I will be pursuing the mast repair option.

I have several options:
1. Try to stuff a repair sleeve down the inside of the mast.
2. Cut mast and sleeve from the inside (not keen on this one)
3. Install sleeve from the outside (preferred).

Here is a photo of an internal sleeve that someone repaired their mast with. Its serrated to prevent any stresses from concentrating at the seam edges. Anyone see a reason not to use this technique on the outside (except for aesthetics, which I am not too concerned about)?

mastsleeve1.jpg

Also, David, I think I might have the answer to clamping the assembly together- a band clamp:
band.jpg

I'm just not sure if it will exert enough pressure to flex the metal into position.

Doug

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Keith- Good question, my terminology is incorrect. It would actually be a reinforcing collar, which would not extend all the way around the mast, and would thus not interfere with the mast track. Rob, thanks, I'll try to call you in the next day or two.

Doug