• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bottom Paint Question

Czech Mate

Member II
A couple of seasons ago when hauling our E32 out for winter the we had some minor damage done to the hull in the area that typically is below the waterline. A pad flipped the wrong way as the boatyard guys were lowering the boat on to the cradle and the post that the pad is attached to created a gouge in the bottom paint, gelcoat and fiberglass. In any case the boatyard agreed it was their problem. They repaired it and repainted it with VC17 as that is what I use for our bottom paint. When the boat was hauled out for the next season, I noticed that in the area of the repair, the bottom paint had peeled off. I guess my question is should they have put some kind of barrier coat over the repair before touching up with VC17 or how can I prevent this from happening in the future? The rest of the bottom is in good shape and retains the VC17 with no problems. Any thoughts guys?

Thanks,
Bill

VolvoEricson

IMHO, the repaired surface was not properly prepped. I would just follow the directions from Interlux on the can. No need to worry.

e38 owner

Member III
vc 17

I have used vc 17. If they repaired the gouge with west system it may have a hard time sticking. If that is what they used just prep the area and it should stick. You may want to put a barrier coat over the West System then paint

tilwinter

Member III
bottom paint

The interlux product Primocon is ideal for this type of job. A few coats over the area will help the bottom paint adhere, at least according to the data sheet. I am testing it this year.