• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30+ spreaders

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I need to add a second block to my upper spreader for my flag halyard. Does anyone know if the spreader is hollow or solid?

Judging from the shape of it viewed from the deck (or the dock with binoculars) it appears to be solid.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
I need to add a second block to my upper spreader for my flag halyard. Does anyone know if the spreader is hollow or solid?

Judging from the shape of it viewed from the deck (or the dock with binoculars) it appears to be solid.

Hi ! The spreaders are solid, but I can not for the life of me wonder why they did not put jumpers up there instead of another spreader as it interferes with sail trim, may be it's because of the Kenyon tappered mast? Does any one know or have any ideas. O ! am told that Americans in general think jumpers old fashioned

Chas on EDEN E 30+ #720:confused:

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Not having been up to see the existing block, I am wondering if the attachment method would be to through-drill the spreader and use rivets or drill a hole partially through and tap it for a screw. Seems like it would take a long rivet and leave the tail end protruding on top of the spreader.

What is a "jumper?"

bayhoss

Member III
jumper

Jumpers are like spreaders but smaller and swept more aft. Forgive the defination. I'll dig up a picture and post it later - worth a thousand words.:egrin:

Best always,
Frank

escapade

Inactive Member
The spreaders on my old 30+ (1980) were hollow. I used 8/32's for flag halyard blocks, but rivets would work, also.
Bud

bayhoss

Member III
FWIW, the spreaders on my 1986 E28 are hollow also. I drilled and taped them with 8 -32 screws as well.

Best,
Frank

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
These spreaders look solid...from the deck at least. They do not have the airfoil shape that I have seen on other boats; they appear to be flat.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Hollow

They are hollow-use a couple of self-tapping screws and you are good to go. Some folks just use a lashing up there-eliminating the need to drill anything.

As for jumpers on this mast-it is WAY to strong to need jumpers-they would just add windage and weight. Jumpers generally add fore and aft support, while the spreaders support the rig side to side.

If you have trouble sheeting your genoa in because it is hitting the top spreaders (they should be touching when trimmed all the way in), the first thing to do is be sure the lead is not too far forward... If the lead is correct, then the problem is simply that the genoa is built with too much roach. Have a sailmaker add a little more leech hollow, and the sail will fit just fine.

If you are really lazy, just don't trim in so far!:rolleyes:

Cheers,:egrin: