• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E23-1 Hull Design

P. Fell

We are in the process of restoring a 1971 E23-1. I would be interested in the specificarions / line drawings for the early boats. Everything I have seen on the web or in print pertains to the series II boats and I think there may be some major differences both above and below the waterline.

Thanks,
Porter Fell
E23-I, #128

Anchises

E-23

Porter,

Twenty-eight years ago I owned an E-23, hull# 86, which was made in 1969. What a great boat! I remember it fondly. I see very few of them here in San Francisco Bay now. I've had the fin keel off, re-rigged two masts myself and taken almost every component apart. I am happy to see one being restored. Contact me if you have questions.

Frank

mulciber99@aol.com

P. Fell

Frank,
Believe it or not, I am a regular sailor out there in the Bay Area. We have a good friend that campaigns an Express 27 out of Richmond and we usually make it out at least once a year for a regatta. Our next planned visit is the Sailing World NOOD Regatta at the end of August.

Getting back to the subject of Ericson's, I bet the E23 was a great boat for the normally windy conditions of SF Bay. I have only had the boat out once but it sails solid as a rock! We are not as fortunate to have the great wind you do on our inland lake but we still manage to get in plenty of good sailing.

Interesting you mention re-rigging the mast. After one sail I am already considering running the halyards inside the mast, adding a hinged mast base and improving the backstay adjuster. I would be interested in your experience.

As for the keel, we may also be looking at a retrofit. It appears we have some significant rust in the keel bolts that could potentially cause us a problem. Since we are not doing any off shore stuff I am not too concerned but again, I would be interested in your experience.

Thanks for your correspondence.

Regards,

Porter Fell
E23-I #128

Anchises

E-23

Porter,
The E-23 was a lot of fun. It was small enough to be easy to sail alone. I could sail into my berth, luff the main at the last moment, jump off and stop the boat. If I tried that today with my present ride, I would take out part of the dock.

Mast

It is not overly important to use internal halyards. Be sure to put turning blocks on the deck in order to bring the halyards into the cockpit. The original factory mast was somewhat light. Do not drill or carve too many holes in it. Remember, the perforated postage stamp was invented before we were born. If the spreaders are original, put stonger ones on. The spreaders are only stock aluminum tubing. I think the original ones were designed for lawn furniture.
To rake the mast aft install two cable sheaves on the lower part of the backstay where it divides into a yoke. Attach a block and tackle system to the sheaves. The block and tackle is fastened onto the side of the motor well.

Keel

The keel is cast iron, weighs 1300 pounds, and may be seeping water into the bilge. The keel is held in place by short, 1" diameter, galvanized plough bolts. When the keel was bolted on at the factory it was caulked with the acrylic sealers they used then.

It was fun, Porter, talking about these things after all these years.

Frank

D. Fox

E23 sailing qualities

For those of you folks who have sailed these boats, would you say they're decent light air performers? I've read that they sail well in nearly all conditions, but would like to hear from some owners firsthand. Thanks,

Dan

Bob in Va

Member III
Sailing qualities

I've only had mine since fall, but have sailed her about 25 times. She likes lots of wind, but in light air seems to move OK provided I have the right headsail up. In super light air (near drifting) situations, I don't do as well as lighter boats, but it's probably mostly the skipper. I have much to learn about sailing the boat well downwind, but when we turn the mark and come back on the wind she comes into her own and passes boats that should be faster. Having a traveler makes a lot of difference, obviously. The boat steers with a nice light touch, 2 fingers of weather helm in moderate wind. Visibility from the cockpit is terrific. I believe the hull shape is very efficient. Theoretical hull speed is 5.92, but I have seen 6.2 sustained and 6.4 for moments on my knotmeter (calibrated to match GPS). My sails aren't the best, and I'm curious to see how she will do with some good ones.

D. Fox

E23

Thanks for the response Bob, that's just what I was looking for. Where do you keep your E23? I work in downtown Hampton and there's a bristol E23 at the Hampton YC. Is that you? If not, do you know who's it is? I'd very much like the opportunity to take a look at one of these boats up close. Thanks again,

Dan

PS: You suggested I email you in another message...I can't get your address off this board.