• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Sound" advice needed!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello All,
I'm in the process of R-n-R'ing the 5432 in my E38 with a used engine. In the process of removing the engine several other things are receiving attention including the lack of sound insulation.

There is essentially NO sound insulation on my boat. The factory stuff was only installed on the access door under the companionway steps. Needless to say the boat could be quieter when motoring. I would like a recommendation for sound insulation to install on the sides and ceiling of the engine space while I have the engine removed. I have seen several types, stick on, cut to fit, tiles, screw fastened, etc.

Thanks in advance, RT

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I used 1 1/2" Thick Sound Down. Defender sells it. They also sell the hanger kits. Stuff was a beast to work with as it has this 1/4" think internal layer of lead impregnated rubber. You will want a pair of big ass shears to cut the stuff. Also get the tape to seal the corners and ends. I did this with the engine in and it was a royal PITA. You should have an easier go at it. I tried to make the engine box as close to air tight as possible with a blower pulling heat off from the top of the box and a fresh air intake plumbed into the bottom. Made a huge difference in noise but the Sounddown is not cheap. Glacier Bay I think makes some really expensive stuff too.

http://www.soundown.com/index_Marine.htm

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thanks much. Will do some form of mechanical fastening even with the self adhesive stuff. Since the engine will be out the whole deal should be MUCH easier. I'm going for 1" thickness, max. Any more than that and getting all the stuff on the engine space walls bolted back on will be difficult. I realize that the thinner material may not work at effectively however I plan on doing almost all the area and I have NOTHING on the walls now. Anything will be a huge improvement.

RT

Sven

Seglare
Line the hull too ?

We only have very basic insulation under the engine box and a loose sheet in one access door. The noise doesn't bother us that much but quieter would still be nicer.

I am wondering if any of your installations also cover some of the contours of the inside of the hull to cut down reverberations ?

Any suggestions about how to cut down the noise from a very noisy (rattly) squirrel fan ? Mount to a sheet of rubber or wrap in foam ... or ?

-Sven

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, the product I received is Soundown brand. Thats 36sq/ft for much less per sq/ft than anywhere else I have seen.

RT

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sweet RT, Soundown is very well made stuff. I found I needed a BIG pair of scizzors to work with it easily but it held up well. The tape for the seams and ends has held up well too.

While I have your attention, it looks like I am buying a boat in Portsmouth, RI. Stored at the Hinckley yard. I may be looking for someone to do some work on it there for me. Replacing some hoses on the engine, and replacing some seacocks. I'm not accustomed to paying people to work on my boats but given the logistics of me being in Annapolis some of these jobs will make sense to pay for. Can you reccomend anyone who is good and reasonably priced in the area? p-mail me if its easier ted_reshetiloff@yahoo.com

Dan Morehouse

Member III
sound insulation

Rob,
I am using SPM tiles from Sailors Solutions. Have less than half of it installed (the easy half, unfortunately) but it has made a modest difference. With the engine still in, I will next have to figure out how to install the remaining pieces around the obstructions in the engine space (wiring harness, bilge & water pressure pumps, etc.). Whatever time it takes to extend your engine install in order to install insulation will be well worth it!

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"