• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Living aboard our E38

mark reed

Member III
My wife and I have been living aboard our E38 for the past 7 months now, cruising from Oregon down the California coast to Mexico. We have been as far south as Manzanillo, and are now headed north towards the Sea of Cortez for spring.

We didn't really envision doing a cruise of this length when we bought this boat, but when it came time to go cruising, we decided that we couldn't afford to get a bigger or more "blue water" boat and that we could make this one work. And so far, it has been a surprisingly good cruising platform.

Relative strengths we've noted:
1. Sailing performance, especially in light airs. We don't need as much wind to make a reasonable speed under sail as most of the other boats we've encountered down here.
2. Ease of handling. We can get underway quickly and manage the boat short-handed. Control lines led to the cockpit help. The spade rudder makes the boat easy to maneuver in close quarters.
3. Comfortable layout for two persons, with plenty of seating positions, and ventilation. The galley is well laid-out and easy to use.
4. Limited exterior maintenance (very little to varnish).
5. Adequate water capacity in multiple tanks. This has been helpful in dealing with uncertain water quality and lack of a watermaker. We find that the two of us can get by for 3 weeks with our 85 gallons. We only add bottled water to the middle tank, and use that for drinking. We aren't as picky when we fill the other two tanks. We run it through a 10 micron filter and treat it with Clorox if quality is suspect. We've spent less than $50 on water and have only had to hump loads a few times. Usually we fill from a hose and/or bottles while dockside.
6. Adequate fuel capacity (54 gal). Many cruisers down here carry rows of jerry jugs on deck. We brought one jug with us, but we haven't kept it filled for the past few months. Reliable fuel is easy to find down here.

Weaknesses we've noted:
1. Limited stowage (although it seems that everyone we meet has the same complaint, no matter what size boat they're on). Biggest items on our stowage wish list would be a second propane locker and a designated locker for gasoline (we carry 5 gal on deck and our 2.5 gal dinghy tank in the anchor locker).
2. Inefficient refrigeration system (stock icebox with Adler-Barbour Cold Machine). But again, most boaters we talk to also find that refrigeration is their main problem, in terms of energy use.
3. Leaky mast (seems to be an Ericson trait). Luckily we have had very little rain, but we're concerned about leaving the boat for any length of time in the tropics.

Most valuable equipment, based on amount of use and impact on our lifestyle:
1. Electric anchor windlass. The PO installed a Lofrans, and it has worked flawlessly on a daily basis. We're using a 55lb Rocna anchor w/ 5/16" chain, and that system has worked very well. We've only needed a stern hook once so far. We have spent as much as 30 days in a row on the hook.
2. Honda 2000w generator. We bought this based on feedback from others who had cruised Mexico before us. We didn't need it at all until we got to tropical waters, but we use it every other day while at anchor down here, which saves wear on the main engine. We operate it on the side deck just forward of the cockpit, and we keep it in the cockpit footwell, unless we are doing a long passage, in which case we stow it in the starboard cockpit locker. If we didn't have refrigeration, we wouldn't need it at all, as the solar panels would keep up with other needs.
3. Bimini for sun protection while sailing. We've also got a cloth that zips between the bimini and dodger, for really hot days, and some garden shade cloth (Home Depot) that we rig as a boom tent at anchor.
4. Avon RIBLite dinghy with 8hp outboard and wheels. It has a folding transom, and we can stow it flat, athwartships just forward of the traveler, on passage. It will plane with 2 of us, and it will hold 4 when needed (not often).
5. Windvane. After much deliberation, we went with a Hydrovane, and we are very happy with it. It is easy to use (the Admiral can operate it), it doesn't use electricity, it works on all points of sail and in fairly light airs, and it could serve as an emergency rudder in the event we lost the main rudder.
6. Single sideband radio. Some of the younger cruisers prefer to carry satphones for emergency use, but we like checking into the cruiser nets and hearing what other boaters are up to.

Least valuable equipment, based on the amount of use:
1. Solar shower. This was a surprise, as we used it all the time in the PNW. Down here, the water in the tanks is warm enough, and the shower wand in the cockpit is very convenient.
2. Inflatable kayaks. They are lightweight, but they do take up space, and we just don't use them often enough to justify having them onboard. And BTW, we were avid sea kayakers before we had our boat, and we also carried folding kayaks while in the Pacific Northwest that we used all the time. Its different in the heat.
3. Jerry jug for diesel (see comment above under "strengths")

We have met very few other Ericsons actively cruising: one couple in their twenties on an Ericson 29, and a couple in their thirties on an E38 like ours. The majority of boats we've encountered are heavier, more traditional boats. But based on our experience so far, we are very happy with our decision to cruise on the E38. We will spend at least one more season in Mexico. After that, who knows?

Sven

Seglare
Thanks for the great summary. Vert interesting reading.

I'm surprised that you haven't run into more Ericsons.

-Sven

Willpatten

Member II
Cruising in an E38

Hi Mark,
Great post. Thanks. My wife and I are planning to head south on the right coast this fall in our '90 E38. So naturally, I have some questions:
1. What's you battery capacity and where do you put them? We want to add a third house battery. Now we have two with a dedicated starting battery under the Strbd settee.
2. Shower wand in the cockpit? You have a washdown pump? Is it fresh water or sea water?
3. The spec's on our boat say the ice box is well insulated (4-6 inches). Is your problem with the reefer the box or the Adler-Barbour?

mark reed

Member III
Hi Will,

1. Our house bank is 4 T-125 golf cart batts in the starboard cockpit locker (250AH); we have 2 Group 31 AGMs under the forward settee for another 210AH - these are only used for anchor windlass and as backup cranking batts

2. The shower wand is in the port lazarette next to the propane locker. It is pressure H/C fresh water. We do have a saltwater washdown pump in the bow locker, but its a pretty wimpy flow and doesn't get used much

3. Our reefer functions normally. It just eats a lot of juice - 5.4A. When we were in the Pacific NW, the duty cycle was 50% or less. Down here its probably on 90% of the time. I figure its costing us 100AH/day. Other cruisers report similar energy costs, unless they have upgraded their systems - vacuum insulation, keel coolers, extra ventilation and fans around the condensers, etc. Ours is the stock system, all we have done is to make sure the condenser radiator is clean and has good airflow around it.

Good luck on your cruise!

Willpatten

Member II
Cruising in an E38

Thanks Mark,
One more please.
Where/how did you mount the solar panels?
We're putting in a wind generator but I'd like to have some solar as well.

msFootrope

Will You Return

I really enjoyed reading this post, Mark. Does this mean you won't be coming back to the PNW any time soon? I guess there will be no chance of running into you accidentally again this summer. Sounds like a wonderful adventure that you and Vicki are undertaking. Need I say that I'm jealous? Are you posting pictures anywhere that we can view (e.g., Facebook, Flicker, etc.)?

mark reed

Member III
Solar panels

Hi Will,
We mounted 2 85w panels atop the bimini. I tried to upload a picture that shows how they are mounted, but the link didn't work. Note that we replaced the lifelines between the stern pulpit and gates with solid rails. We probably could have fit 135w panels instead, but I was worried about too much weight on the bimini frame. We would like to add more panels, but haven't figured out where to put them. We have considered putting a pair of 65w panels on the dodger, or another pair of 85w panels on the railing just forward of the bimini.

Last edited:

mark reed

Member III
re: return to PNW

Hi Ellen,

Although we are having a wonderful time, we don't want to do this year-round. We will store the boat somewhere down here for hurricane season (still deliberating on location). We are looking forward to spending summer at home in Oregon, and doing some road trips around the West. We miss summer sailing in BC, and hope to someday bring the boat back there, or get a different boat.

We've got a blog: sailingwithmarkandvicki.blogspot.com

Sven

Seglare
or another pair of 85w panels on the railing just forward of the bimini.

That is where E39B Pacifica (now GOODONYA owned by Simon) had her two panels mounted. They folded down when needed. We also put in solid rails on Senta II between the stern pulpit and the gate. The biggest drawback I see with the rail mounted panels is that while under way you are very likely to always have output-killing shade over one of the two panels.

-Sven

u079721

Contributing Partner
Nice post. Interesting comments about the need for extra propane storage and also dedicated storage for dinghy gas.

We have about a year total aboard our boat as liveaboards - one month at a time though. Our 38 still had the CNG, so we used the propane locker for dinghy gas, which worked out great. But it seems to be the rule that no boat ever has enough dedicated storage on deck for things like propane, dinghy gas, or the life raft.

Good luck with the cruise.

Willpatten

Member II
E38 rigged for cruising

Mark, as you can tell, you are a treasure trove of valuable information as I get read to rig our boat for the trip south.
One more: where is the compressor for your reefer?

Dan Morehouse

Member III
Mark,
I'm trying to prepare my 38 for moving up to BC from the SF Bay area. Currently trying to pick between a windlass or a dodger on the project list. Question: are you using all chain rode, and if so, do you have any complaints about the weight issue in the bow?

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"

mark reed

Member III
Reefer compressor

Will,
We have an Adler-Barbour Cold Machine w/ compressor and condensor mounted in the starboard cockpit locker, far forward end, on a raised shelf. I figured this was the stock installation. It has functioned very well so far.

mark reed

Member III
All chain rode

Dan,
Windlass or dodger - tough choice - are you sure you can't do both? We have 150' of 5/16 HT chain, spliced to another 150' of nylon rode. Bow weight hasn't been an issue. Most folks seem to carry far more chain, but this has been adequate so far. But then, we haven't had to ride out anything more than 35kts. For next year, one of the items on our wish list is 250' of chain. Doesn't seem like there is any good way to splice chain, so we will have to swap out the 150' we currently have.

skywalker

Member II
Solar panels and windlass

Hi Mark,

Great write up on your boat. Its good to hear that you are pleased with your E 38. I am embarking on my own journey this fall along the Eastern US to the Keys or Bahamas.

I have 2 projects lined up this summer though before I go. I have two new 85W solar panels sitting in their boxes waiting to be installed. I still haven't decided how I am going to mount them. Are you getting enough power out of your panels atop the bimini (ie any shadowing issues or is the dodger a better spot)? I read you were unsuccessful in posting some pictures of the mounting. Could you possibly try PMing me and emailing some photos. I'd like to see how your set up.

My second project is installing my horizontal Lewmar windlass in the locker. There are few how-to idea's on this site but I would like to get some photos of your installation as well.

Thanks

Bryissa

Member I
Paths have crossed

(I tried to post this on your blog but found it much simpler here)

Mark and Vicki,

I'm almost certain that we crossed paths on your way down to Stillwater Cove. My girlfriend and I were sailing north bound from a great Labor Day weekend 2009 with a group from the Elk Horn Yacht club. We passed one sailing vessel on our trip home that had the viking horns and appeared to be about 38' in length. We were sailing a 1981 E38 on our way back up to Moss Landing. I read your posts on the Ericson website and thought I would say hello.

Cheers,

Bryan & Laurissa
Lela Margariete

mark reed

Member III
Hi Bryan,
I do remember passing and waving to a northbound Ericson on our way around the peninsula that day. Thanks for the note! Hope we'll get to meet someday.
Mark