E29 double headsail rig

Capt.Grant Dial

I've seen a photo of an E29 double headsail rig and they have the lay-out specs in the owners manual. I am looking for someone w/ experience w/ this rig and what their comments on it are.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I broached this subject a couple of years ago and the consensus was, as I remember that this would not be applicable to racing but might work for loaded cruising boat. Hopefully one of the former Ericson employees will join in on this.
I am looking for things to do to my E29 T to be more competitive racing. If you have any tips that might help let me know. What are you hoping to gain by running a stay sail.?

Capt.Grant Dial

Double headsail rig

What I hope to gain is a more cutter like performance. Cutter rigs are known for easily balancing the helm so you steer less, plus the more combinations for shortening sail. I live aboard my boat so I'm not really interested in racing her, but I do intend to do some extensive cruising - some offshore.

As far as racing: I have the origonal mainsheet track on my boat and I would upgrade and modernize that, prehaps Harken. I would install inboard genoa lead tracks, a good vang and better spinaker gear along w/ the suitable sail inventoy. Of course that would take some deep pockets. There are a couple of issues @ the gooseneck that could be modernized as well, but most of that isn't on my priority list. I have resurrected this boat from a slow death and would be glad to build a dialogue w/ you on my experience. A good many of these older boats ( mine's a '72 ) are great sailors and can be that much more so if you upgrade the running rigging and associated controls.
Capt.Grant :egrin:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Capt. Grant,

There is a little information in the Documents section of this site (1st link in the 29 section). Looks like the double headsail rig started as a custom boat but was later offered as an option from the factory.