• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor locker

tyrguy

Member II
Does anyone know which models came with an anchor locker on the bow?
We have some repair work to do on the bow area and thought about putting in an anchor locker at the same time.

tyrguy

Member II
Well?

A lot of lurkers but no responses.
We really liked having an anchor locker on our Catalina 25 and it would be better than having to configure a bow roller. So any Ideas?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I suspect you may not be getting replies because few of us may know all the models that have/don't have an anchor locker. I can tell you that our 1984
E30+ does have an anchor locker that's enclosed fibreglass with a latched lid to hold the anchor rode, and it has a drain hose through the bow to drain either moisture from the anchor rode or water that enters the locker from waves across the bow in heavier weather. It all works very well.

Our boat also has an anchor roller that I'm pretty sure was factory installed and it holds our Bruce anchor very well, though I have added a through bolt and a strong rubber bungy-like cord to hold it firmly in place in choppy weather. I don't have any pictures of that that would be helpful. I like having the anchor on the bow rather than in the locker, as I can secure it better there so it doesn't bounce around; if the latch on the locker broke, there would be a risk of the anchor falling out if the boat were heeled or hit a wave, etc.

We also have Harken roller furling, but it doesn't get in the way of either the anchor roller or the anchor locker.

I suspect that our arrangement on the E30+ is similar to that of many other Ericsons, but I'm not familiar with enough of the other models to be more specific. Maybe others can help.

Frank

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
My 1986 E28 is set up just about identical to the 30+. I keep a 25# CQR on the roller with a thru hitch pin as well.
Best,
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup, same here

Factory anchor well with a slide bar catch on our boat as well.
Pictured here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3951&referrerid=28
No stock roller, though. First owner added one that was too small and lacked guides, and I later installed a larger one.

I would imagine that an interesting "winter project" would be to fab up a cardboard mold and make a molding for the well. The trick would be to save the piece one removes from the deck to incorporate into a new lid, somehow.

I know a boat wright that could do this easily, but he charges (and is worth every penny) $70./hour. No always a choice for poor Vikings.

Regards,
Loren

tyrguy

Member II
You read my mind

Loren, thats exactly what we were considering on the bow. Cut out the top piece and save for lid then glass in a well made out of starboard with a drain somewhere and figure out if any supports need to be put in somehow. Have been following the other thread about a similar project but it seems easier to just cut it out and make a locker than to try and replace the core.

Don't know if you remember the boat but I talked to you last year in Astoria after we brought the boat down from Hermiston.

tyrguy

Member II
Drain?

So should the anchor locker drain overboard or into the bilge?
On our Catalina it drained overboard straight out towards the bow thru a little tube that always got plugged with stuff.

bayhoss

Member III
Having the water drain overboard is best IMHO. My E28 has a small outlet that goes out thru the bow. Now and then it requires the garden hose and a coat hanger to clear. All in all, a good design.

Best,
Frank

Glyn Judson

Anchor locker drain.

All, That was the design of our E25+ too. There was a hole drilled in the center of the bow right in line with the bottom of the anchor locker. Any water that got into the locker from above or even that hole, merely drainer right out again. When we bought the boat someone had plugged that hole for whatever reason I can't fathom but I have a distinct recollection of clearing the hole of filler and restoring the hole's function. There was no tube from a separate fiberglass locker to the bow, merely a hole through the hull material that comprised the interior of the locker, pretty simple and effective. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our boat has a drain using a small barb fitting at the low (front) end of the tub. The clear hose goes down to a piece of (copper?) tubing about 3" long well glassed into the stem, about a foot above the DLW.
LB

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Anchor Locker/Starboard

Not to throw cold water on creative thinking, but from everything I have heard "Starboard" cannot be bonded together (Glass Tabbed or epoxied), and most of the caulks do not hold.....

Check it thoroughly....

The pan for the anchor locker on my 35-3 needs to be pulled and caulked properly.....it looks like the PO used a lot of silicone to keep the water out....after it had already migrated and did some damage....

I am going to look at the post that has the photos of Cory Boltons anchor locker.....that is a masterpiece.....If I can summon the energy I would like to copy it at a later date....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm votin' with Mort.
Starboard is high density plastic and not much of anything will bond to it. Better to get some pieces of G10/FR4 fiberglass composite from someplace like McMaster-Carr. I use that stuff to make FRP parts on a regular basis.

For a smaller project with pics see this thread-
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3509&referrerid=28

You can grind it and bond cloth to it with epoxy resin.

Best,
Loren

ps: Ken, I do remember talking to you on the docks at Astoria! :)

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Getting here late, but yes, you do want to have the locker drain overboard, and not into the bilge, since it is pretty darn difficult to seal the locker from rain water.

As for the Starboard, it can not be bonded (think polyethylene milk jug). But while it can be welded, I can't imagine it would be worth the trouble. Just use marine grade plywood, cover it with glass, and paint it over. Then put a mat over the bottom to protect the surface from scratches from the ground tackle.