• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 27 hull thickness - fill and fair old through hull hole.

selous

Inactive Member
I'm curious as to what the thickness of the E27 hull is,I have heard close to an inch but can't seem to find any specs.
On another note,I will be doing some hull work and want to move my engine raw water sea cock to an accessible area.For some ungodly reason either the factory or some previous owner put it way in the back of the storage compartment under the sink(almost at the lazarette bulkhead).Anyway I'm open to good advise on what to use to plug the old hole.I'm considering 3m high strength filler which I already have for filling small gouges and such! I also have some structural west filler but it is very coarse and I am afraid of air voids if this is used!

Last edited:

PDX

Member III
I would use a grinder to bevel both the inside and outside of the hole first. Then tape wax paper on the inside to cover the hole. Then, working from the outside, cut a series of circles of glass mat and glass cloth, maybe ten or so. Then, using epoxy, lay them up in the hole, alternating mat with cloth. After the outside work has gone off, go to the inside, remove the taped wax paper, and repeat the same thing you did on the outside. I'm guessing your hull thickness is in the range of 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Wait on the epoxy as long as you can before sanding--it will sand better.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
About Moving Holes Around

I'm curious as to what the thickness of the E27 hull is,I have heard close to an inch but can't seem to find any specs.
On another note,I will be doing some hull work and want to move my engine raw water sea cock to an accessible area.For some ungodly reason either the factory or some previous owner put it way in the back of the storage compartment under the sink(almost at the lazarette bulkhead).Anyway I'm open to good advise on what to use to plug the old hole.I'm considering 3m high strength filler which I already have for filling small gouges and such! I also have some structural west filler but it is very coarse and I am afraid of air voids if this is used!

I have not bored a hole in a 27, but would guess that it's around a half inch, maybe more.
I have also "moved a hole" on our boat and by coincidence it was the engine intake. Note that you do Not want to just "fill" the old hole with any sort of "filler."
You taper the edge of the opening back to a 12 to 1 slope, and lay in cut circles of cloth, using epoxy. You are recreating the continuous path of fabric that was there before the hole was created.
The excellent West Systems manuals have good info and drawings for this common repair.

Once you have built up the thickness of cloth or roving circles to the same depth as the bottom surface, grind it smooth with the rest of the hull surface. Just for luck I would lay in several overlapping layers on the inside as well.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

newpbs

Member III
Caution

You have most likely already considered this, but I'll mention it anyway. It is my understanding that the selected location for the water intake was done with a lot of thought. The intake needs to have access to water no matter what point of sail you are on. Other locations may seem to be more accessable for you but are not always "wet" when underway. You never know when you might need the iron jenny. You would not want to have some unusual situation where you fire up the engine and find out that cooling water is not available for your engine.

Paul

selous

Inactive Member
Yes thanks,I have considered placement for good pickup,I am planning on moving it forward in more or less a straight line(about three feet from where it is) just inside the storage compartment door and about 1' outboard from the engine. I can't foresee a problem with this location at any degree of heel but if anyone familiar with the E27 sees a problem with the intended location I would like to know.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Lloyd- I just did this very repair. When you take the thru-hull out, you will find that it is recessed into the hull, with a corresponding bump on the interior. It will look like this, except smaller (this is the sink drain right next to it).
P2190098.jpg

I just put about 6-7 layers of 1708 biaxial fiberglass in the hole then capped it with one layer over the top on the hull side and two layers on the inside.

P1150008.jpg

P1150020.jpg

This should be pretty bombproof, and it didn't require a lot of sanding and fairing. Good luck!

Doug

selous

Inactive Member
Hi bigd14,thanks for posting the pics,definitely looks bullet proof.I'm interested to know what you used to get that nice evenly beveled edge on the outside of the hole?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It came that way from the factory to fit the flush thru-hull.

P2190099.jpg

Here are a couple photos of some thru hull locations for the head. These were never actually drilled out and used, but they molded them into the hull when they layed it up. I opened these two up because I was concerned that the cracks I saw coming through the bottom paint was a poorly repaired thru-hull patch, but I didn't need to worry.

Bottom paint sanded off:
P1150009.jpg

After digging out putty. I simply filled these in with circles of glass and faired them smooth.
P1150014.jpg

By the way, does anyone know why my pictures wont show up, just a link on this post, but on another one the photos show up? I haven't done anything different. Weird.

Doug

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here as opposed to somewhere else

It came that way from the factory to fit the flush thru-hull.

P2190099.jpg

Here are a couple photos of some thru hull locations for the head. These were never actually drilled out and used, but they molded them into the hull when they layed it up. I opened these two up because I was concerned that the cracks I saw coming through the bottom paint was a poorly repaired thru-hull patch, but I didn't need to worry.

Bottom paint sanded off:
P1150009.jpg

After digging out putty. I simply filled these in with circles of glass and faired them smooth.
P1150014.jpg

By the way, does anyone know why my pictures wont show up, just a link on this post, but on another one the photos show up? I haven't done anything different. Weird.

Doug

It looks to me like you are linking to another separate web site where you have photos displayed. In order to post the actual pix stored on this site you need to post them directly from your own computer using the Manage Attachments option under Additional Options when you post your message.
For example, I just dragged your last pic listed above from your photo album to my desktop. I then resized it down a little bit so that the largest dimension was 800 pixels. Then I re-saved it as a medium resolution JPG image and posted it to this reply. And, as the say somewhere, viola!
:)
Loren

Attachments

• e27 bottom pic.jpg
    e27 bottom pic.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 969

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Loren. You are right, I am trying to link to photos from Photobucket. I guess what I am wondering is why my photos actually show up on this
thread :http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8477

but only show up as hyperlinks on this thread. I did everything the same way, but got two different results.

Sorry to hijack this thread by the way, maybe we can move this discussion elsewhere.

Last edited:

selous

Inactive Member
Sometimes it's just the browser.If you're using Firefox or google chrome just try IE and see if that works. Btw weird how they (Ericson) just put them in there just in case!

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
The engine intake on the E29 is under the sink also. I have considered cutting an access hold and installing a door under the sink cabinet in the fiberglass to allow me to reach in and access the sea cock. Also if you were to have the seacock rotated to so the shaft is pointing forward an extension could be installed and the handle placed outside the panel under the sink cabinet door. The position of the opening I am considering is marked in red on the attached picture.

Attachments

• DCP00672 MOD.jpg
    DCP00672 MOD.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 945

selous

Inactive Member
Hi Randy
Thanks for posting.The E 27,well mine at least actually has a door right where you have marked the photo,the problem is that they located the sea cock right at the back of that area against the lazarette bulkhead so that one would have to crawl in past the sink drain (which is right in the middle)and lie down and stretch to reach it and even then only one hand would be able to be used.So the only option for me is to move the through hull location.
The current marelon sea cock is frozen open because the P.O was unwilling to open and close it now and then to keep it working (can't say I blame him).