• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

spreader boots

TS Farley

Member II
Hello all,

One of the spreader boots on my 1975 Mk II 35' just disintegrated. Would anyone be able to recommend the best replacement brand/type?

Vivian
:egrin:
TS Farley

bayhoss

Member III
Replaced mine last year with a pair from West Marine. They seem to be holding up ok.

Best,
Frank

Joe

Member II
Defender.com (under Sailboat Hardware > Rigging > Covers/Boots) has the rubber boots in the attached image in three sizes for about $30.

They also have a real cheap PVC boot on special for $3.

If you feel like stitching, they have a leather boot kit, with thread and needle, for about $70.

Attachments

• rubber.jpg
    rubber.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 838

Rhynie

Member III
Keep it simple; use a strip cut from a fender and a hoseclamp. I have used this technique on other boats also. works fine. Have not attached a pic before, will see if it works.

Attachments

• Rhynie spreader 1.jpg
    Rhynie spreader 1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,183

TS Farley

Member II
Ah....choices! I rather like the idea of leather boots for the boat!
Will check out all the suggestions.

Thanks all,

Vivian

C Masone

Perfect Storm
My former C&C had spreader boots that would make my genny hang up during races, I removed them and installed wheels, much better less chafe. I cannot install the wheels on my E32-3 because of double shrouds (anyone know a solution?)

Glyn Judson

Spreader protectors.

Vivian, I use wheels, more specifically Harken #285 Sail Chafe Protectors. http://www.harken.com/CatalogPDF/085-complementary-accessories.pdf They come in pairs and are two-part interlocking wheels that snap around a shroud and sit above the spreader. I lost one of them years ago when it came unsnapped for some reason and after getting a replacement, I simply used a small length of seizing wire on a spoke to keep them from unsnapping ever again. They've been over my spreaders for years needing no attention or replacement. It's a clean looking, economic and permanent solution. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

TS Farley

Member II
speader boots

Thanks again to all for the information.
Glyn, the Harken wheels look very functional. I'm going to try them.

Vivian

Glyn Judson

Harken wheels.

Vivian, Be sure to use seizing wire (available at West Marine and other chandlers) and don't be tempted to use Zip ties, don't ask but I can tell you how much two pair of these wheels cost. Zip ties, even the colored ones eventually become brittle and fall off and oops, there goes a wheel, then oops there goes the other one. Several wire wraps around only one of the spokes is all that's needed. The idea is to keep them from being separated so when you have them in your hand and see how they join, you'll know where to wrap the wire. Be advised that after twisting the wire and cutting off the excess with wire cutters, the sharp wire ends should be bent to be parallel to the spoke so that they can't snag anything. Once bent there they will not move. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

TS Farley

Member II
Harken wheels

Glyn, will do re the seizing wire. I'm not exactly sure how the wheels themselves they are attached, maybe it will be evident once they are in hand. You said they attach to the shroud, so looking at Brian's photo (thanks Brian!) I'm guessing they just sit loosely, able to slid up the shroud, on top of the spreader? So the spreader tip is just left uncovered?

Glyn Judson

How do the Harken wheels work and where?

Vivian, The best way for me to illustrate how these wheels go together is to ask you to form two V's with your index and middle fingers on both hands. Now move the open ends of the V's together, sliding one hand over the other. What remains a small circle at the narrow ends of the V's. The Harken wheels are two identical half circles that interlock in a similar manner finally snapping together making a small circle in the center that the shroud feeds through. These wheels snap together above the spreader tips. It's diameter causes it to protrude beyond the end of the tip, thus easing a sail around without harm. Aside from their location assuming that your mast is standing, these wheels take about two seconds to snap together and another two minutes for the securing wire. They're pretty neat, very tidy looking and will last forever. Good luck, Glyn

TS Farley

Member II
Harken wheels

Glyn, right, got it. Good graphic description. The ease of installation will be great when it comes to talking my daughter into being the upper half of the maintenance crew!
I also belatedly found the past threads on the topic with a treasure trove of information. (Spider nests in the boots, ick!) Kudos to Sean for setting up such a useful and well run site......and to all the contributors!

Vivian