• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

ABI Genoa slides needed.

Glyn Judson

All, I'm having the Devil of a time finding four bronze 1 1/4" ABI Genoa slides and would appreciate any and all help finding these slides that are no longer available as ABI has gone out of business. These slides have two small pins through the knob that hold the main pin up when turned 90 degrees. Please see this link showing the style I need. http://shop.torresen.com/ships_stor...ide,+Genoa,+1-1/4+inch,+Bronze&sectionid=5101 I can find stainless steel ones but really need bronze. Thanks in advance for one or four of these, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA glynjudson@roadrunner.com Home: 310.453.1892 Cell: 310.804.9198

Glyn Judson

Finding four ABI 2-pin Genoa slides.

Tom, Thanks for the note. Yes I have talked with them and as a matter of fact had them shipped to me after asking the guy on the phone to first check the slides for the two pins; he said he would. Well, you guessed it, he didn't check for me and they ended up being the old design without the cool two pins, bummer. I should have mentioned that I'd already contacted Sailboat Stuff in my first note, sorry. Send me your email address if you'd like to see what the broken-in bronze ones look like, I have one on the boat that I got years ago right here in Marina del Rey at a local chandler and no, he doesn't have any more. Too bad that I didn't want them in stainless, he must have six or eight of them. Ciao, Glyn glynjudson@roadrunner.com

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Kind of a long shot (but then it always is...) you might try a contact with these guys. Their cavernous old store is full of marine stuff collected over decades.
Some of the aisles are kind of junky but treasures can show up in the darnedest places...
http://www.secondwave.cc/

You might also try a call to Kim at our smaller consignment store here in Portland. http://columbiamarineexchange.com/

One other off-the-wall suggestion would be to plop down an example of what you want on your scanner. Send the picture along to them as an attachment or print it and run it thru a prehistoric fax machine if you have one.
:rolleyes:
Cheers,
Loren

Glyn Judson

ABI slides.

Loren, Thanks for the lead, I just called them and nada. Tom, your suggestion is worth looking into. I'll have to take mine apart if it can be to see how it all fits together and then maybe do just what you suggest. After all I know Sailboat Stuff has them in bronze without the pins. Thanks to both of you for the help. Any other takers??? Glyn

Gmilburn

Member III
Hey Glyn,

Here's a thought.

Sorry, please bear with me, a story comes along with the idea:

I was interested in two of my E29 winches having a natural bronze finish--and after researching the chroming process, found that they can also be "de-chromed" by reversing the electroplating process. So after buying some muratic acid and using a 12V battery charger, I tested out the internet receipt. While it did remove the chrome, the resulting raw metal was patchy at best.

So I took them to a motorcycle chroming shop--with the mission to have them re-chromed. The shop owner told me about the dry-powder coating process that is used for most motorcycle parts now days--and is available in ALL colors and finishes. The part is sand blasted clean and then the powder is electrically applied and permanently baked on. So I chose a bronze color and invested the $35 for a test run. I was so pleased with the result, I had two others "bronzed". While the coating is permanent and should last at least 5 years--should it wear through--the underlying natural bronze metal will show through--and should look fine. Here is a pic of the three bronze ones next to an original chrome one. I pass on the info--as the variety of colors and texture is endless--there are even metal-flaked or metallic colors. Check it out--its cheaper than a new winch or Genoa slide. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_3668cc.JPG
    IMG_3668cc.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 123

Glyn Judson

Bronze Genoa slides.

Gary, Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion, they sure are bronze. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA